Tochoji337 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 2-4 Gokushomachi, Hakata Ward, Fukuoka, Fukuoka Prefecture 812-0037, Japan, Fukuoka-shi
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-922914459
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
Though the building you see today is a modern granite construct, the original temple in this location was built in the early 9th century. It is dedicated to the monk Kukai, an important figure in the propagation of Tantrik Buddhism in Japan, who is interred here. The temple's main hall, gate and inner walls surround a large pond in the central courtyard. There are two major statues here. One is of the goddess Kannon, which, made in the ancient Heian period, is recognised as national cultural property. The other statue is the largest seated wooden Buddha in the world, over 10 meters tall and weighing over 30 tonnes; it was made in the 1990s. Next to it a small treasure hall. Buried in the temple's cemetery are several local feudal lords from the Edo Period.
How to Reach Tochoji
- Gion Subway Station, Kuko/Yellow Line
- 3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3N, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 19, 29, 29N, 30, 32, 39, 39B, 40, 47, 48, 48-1, 50, 56, 57, 68, 80, 88, 99, 100, 113, 114, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 208, 306, 312, 400, 503, 506, 507, 514, 515, 526 stop Gion-machi
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Fukuoka-shi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fukuoka-shi and book an accommodation of your choice.
33.01% of people who visit Fukuoka-shi include Tochoji in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
36.9% of people start their Tochoji visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Tochoji
93.7% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tochoji