- Address: 2-4 Gokushomachi, Hakata Ward, Fukuoka, Fukuoka Prefecture 812-0037, Japan, Fukuoka-shi
- Timings: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-922914459
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, Family And Kids
About Tochoji, Fukuoka-shi
Though the building you see today is a modern granite construct, the original temple in this location was built in the early 9th century. It is dedicated to the monk Kukai, an important figure in the propagation of Tantrik Buddhism in Japan, who is interred here. The temple's main hall, gate and inner walls surround a large pond in the central courtyard. There are two major statues here. One is of the goddess Kannon, which, made in the ancient Heian period, is recognised as national cultural property. The other statue is the largest seated wooden Buddha in the world, over 10 meters tall and weighing over 30 tonnes; it was made in the 1990s. Next to it a small treasure hall. Buried in the temple's cemetery are several local feudal lords from the Edo Period.
How To reach Tochoji by Public Transport
- Gion Subway Station, Kuko/Yellow Line
- 3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3N, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 19, 29, 29N, 30, 32, 39, 39B, 40, 47, 48, 48-1, 50, 56, 57, 68, 80, 88, 99, 100, 113, 114, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 208, 306, 312, 400, 503, 506, 507, 514, 515, 526 stop Gion-machi
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Fukuoka-shi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Fukuoka-shi and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Tochoji
95% of people who visit Fukuoka-shi include Tochoji in their plan
2 PM - 3 PM
31.53% of people start their Tochoji visit around 2 PM - 3 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Tochoji
91.45% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tochoji
Tochoji, Fukuoka-shi Reviews
Nice garden and trees. Stone lanterns and monuments. Temple and pagoda. Costs 50en to see the giant Buddha statue other is no charge.
It was a nice experience. Never been into a temple before and this is a historic one too! There is a cemetery of the Kuroda family here! It's very peaceful and relaxing place! I had a long time connection flight in this region so I asked around for something amazing and historical to see, I was directed to this place and it was worth it! If you are in the area drop by and have a look around! Beautiful!
The wooden buddha really is massive and impressive. Nothing like any other buddha statue I've seen in Asia. It's gilded with gold! Pay 50 yen to enter, and you get a candel and some incense to burn.
건물들도 멋있고 한적한 절입니다. 건물 이층으로 가면 실내에 거대한 불상이 있는데 압권입니다. 불상아래 지옥 체험은 해볼만합니다
Must-visit place.. There was a biggest wooden buddha.. reverential temple... Good place to visit
- Murrayville United Methodist Church
- Double L Quarter Horses
- Murrayville Baptist Church
- Murrayville United Methodist Parsonage
- Sandy Creek Baptist Assoc
- Murrayville House Of Prayer
- Little Egypt Woodmen Camp
- Faith Church Of God
- St Paul's Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod
- Calvary Southern Baptist Church
- West Frankfort Bowl
- Depot Veterans Memorial & Coal Miner's Memorial
- Third Baptist Church
- Harmony Freewill Baptist Church
- Strawberry Meadows