How to Reach Funchal - The Easiest Way to Reach Funchal
Funchal is the capital and main city of Madeira, on the island of Madeira, situated between Santa Cruz and Camara de Lobos cities.
- Funchal Airport (IATA: FNC) is in nearby Santa Cruz, sometimes known as Madeira international/Santa Catarina/Funchal.
- There are several daily flights from most major cities in Portugal (Lisbon, Porto).
- Flight to Funchal time from Lisbon is 1 1/2 hours.
- Also, there are good connections from London (mostly Gatwick) (LGW).
- TAP/ Air Portugal (TP) and British Airways (BA); its flying time is estimated at 3 1/2 hours.
- Note that some smaller car rental companies operate from sites near but not at the airport, and provide transport between terminal and depot.
- Funchal is served by highway ER101 which runs along the coast.
- Take exit 11 by car to get to the city centre and head downhill towards Funchal.
- Continue on this road ER103 until you pass an overpass.
- Immediately on the right is a large parking garage, park the car and walk for a few minutes till you reach Mercado Dos Lavradores.
- The car park is closed on Sundays.
- The city centre is small to explore on foot.
- Orange city bus take you around and up to Monte- lines 20, 21.
- Buy a Giro card from the office for 2, 20 Euro and it is preloaded with two journeys.
- It can be topped up with additional journeys for an additional 1, 50 Euros.
- Pay the bus driver 1, 90 Euro for a ride.
- Most city buses start from the water front area.
- Buy a bus timetable for the local and regional busses starting at Funchal. Maps are also available.
- Bus A 7 a day tour bus valid on all Funchal City routes, 21. 85 Euro.
- There are six bus companies operating various routes and you can check the website for additional information.
- Cruise ships port here.
- There is a car ferry service between Porto Santo and Madeira,two hours one way.
Funchal is a small place so getting around to the things to do is not difficult, by foot or by local bus. Renting a car is a great way to see the island. All European rules apply in Madeira. Roads outside Funchal cab be windy and steep and petrol stations rare. Renting via internet is usually cheaper than walking- in – itinerary planners with budgeting functions should be able to work that in.
Are you looking for a Funchal travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Funchal
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Funchal. The most preferred mode of transport in Funchal is Walking.
Average distance: 16 km Average time: 44 min
Walking 50%Walking 55 min Driving 20 min Overall average time for 20 kms 75 min
Car 50%Driving 13 min Overall average time for 12 kms 13 min
How to Reach Funchal from Nearby Cities
|Lisbon to Funchal||1085.13 km||18 hours 5 mins|
|Alverca do ribatejo to Funchal||1105.81 km||18 hours 25 mins|
|Caldas da rainha to Funchal||1131.7 km||18 hours 51 mins|
|Coimbra to Funchal||1249.61 km||20 hours 49 mins|
|Porto to Funchal||1302.2 km||21 hours 42 mins|
|Palma de mallorca to Funchal||2303.34 km||38 hours 23 mins|
|Swansea to Funchal||2520.15 km||42 hours 23 mins|
|Yeovil to Funchal||2550.41 km||42 hours 30 mins|
|Winchester to Funchal||2656.35 km||44 hours 16 mins|
|Lancing to Funchal||2711.66 km||45 hours 11 mins|