Monte Palace Tropical Garden, Funchal
About Monte Palace Tropical Garden, Funchal
Monte Palace Tropical Garden, Funchal - Address, Phone Number, Ticket Price
Address: Caminho do Monte, 174, 9050-288 Funchal
Ticket Price: 10 EUR
Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
Timings: 09:30 am - 03:30 pm Details
Added 2.8K times in trip plans
Garden, Palace, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Nature
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
Immerse yourself in the wonder of Nature in the green kingdom of plants and shrubs knitted tightly like a strand in a massive web of life. The scent of Azaleas and Orchids drift through the air, stirring your senses. Ponds with stepping stones and bridges lie like a blue plate, pulsating with koi and carp. Every trail takes you down Mother Nature’s store of fascinating flowers and stunning scenery with majestic peacocks lining the pathway. This is the Monte Palace Tropical Garden in Funchal.
White sheets of water cascade down into pools surrounded by pruned shrubbery, conical ferns, and Oriental sculptures at the Monte Palace Garden. This piece of paradise was the vision of the 18th century English Consul called Charles Murray, who bought property up the hill in Funchal. In 1987 Joe Berardo, a millionaire turned this place into a magical dream garden. He aimed at showcasing plants from all over the world and had a 1000year old olive tree relocated in the garden.
Joe Berardo was enchanted by the history and culture of China and Japan and this influenced him to create two oriental gardens in Monte Palace Garden.
These gardens represent Buddhism, and its respect for nature and its highly symbolic elements.
- There are moveable balls in the half open mouths of marble FO dogs, mythical animals which act as guards. Give it one complete turn and according to Chinese belief, good luck shall befall on the person.
- Sit on the stone seats, surrounded by stone lanterns and marvel at the marble Dragon surrounded by children in stone to represent fertility.
- Two bamboo ornaments shaped like pipes has water discharging through them into the lakes, representing the passing of time.
- The Berardo Collection of Zimbabwe stone sculpture is found in the museum along with 700 mineral specimens, from South America, North America and parts of Africa.
- A large collection of tile panels have been placed along the walkways and amongst the vegetation. This collection is one of the most important collection after that of the National Tile Museum in Portugal.
- The tiles represent different eras in time and depicts social, cultural, and religious events.
- The tallest vase is on display here.
- There is a small cafe which sells basic snacks and drinks.
- Staff is very helpful and informative.
Monte Palace Tropical Garden Information
- Best time to visit is early morning on sunny days.
- A lot of paths are pebbled, so not a place to visit if you have problems walking.
- An alternative method to get down is to use the toboggan.
- Taking a ride in the toboggan is costly and are not reliable.
- A walk down is not advisable, since it is nearly 2 miles downhill and very unsteady and steep.
- Wear sensible shoes because a lot of walking is involved.
- A golf buggy is available on the return trip all the way back up.
- Best to visit on days which are sunny, since its tropical and tends to get dull and dark.
- As an alternative method, you can choose to toboggan on the way back.
Monte Palace Tropical Garden Ticket Prices
- Children under 15: free entry
- Included in the ticket price of EU 10 is a free glass of Madeira wine at the cafe inside and a map and information leaflet.
- Entrance to the garden is free.
- If you take a combination of attractions you want to see then there is a discount on the price of the ticket.
Monte Palace Tropical Garden Opening and Closing Hours
- Museum is open daily from 10.30AM to 3.30PM.
How To reach Monte Palace Tropical Garden by Public Transport
- The modern cable car is the easiest way to get to Monte and the Gardens are next to the station.
- To return to Funchal you can go by cable car, taxi, bus or toboggan.
- From Lido take Bus No: 48
- From Ave De Mer Bus No: 20 & 21
- Buy a preloaded giro card and use the Orange city buses.
Restaurants Near Monte Palace Tropical Garden
- Restaurante O Rustico
- Aqua Pest Dos Bicos
- Hortensia Tea Rooms
- Vila Da Rocha
- Restaurante Porta Trinta Edois
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Funchal before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Funchal and book an accommodation of your choice.
Monte Palace Tropical Garden, Funchal Reviews - Write a Review
Incredible. Well worth doing with children, but you need to hold them at some places. Fantastic air, splendid Flora. Expo of geodes , fantastic for our youngest collector. We recommend. Price : free for younger kids ( under 14 if I recall correctly) 12,5E per adult. You need cash ( 2,5e per person) if you want to take the golf cart back up ( worth it with younger children, especially if they happen to fall into the ponds like ours).
Worth the price. At times I felt like a child exploring the different wonders of this never-ending green. If you like quiet and nature, bring food and water and maybe a book and you can easily spend half a day there sitting on one or some of the many benches spread out throughout the garden.
A nice relaxing day out only e12.50 to enter and you will get a free small Madeira wine at the restaurant at the bottom. Open from 09:00hrs to 18:00hrs every day except for December 25 last entry @ 17:30hrs
wonderful garden! we spent almost almost 5-6 hours and shot many many pictures. in contrast to many modern gardens this really felt like a bit of wilderness or paradise, supported by a quiet day in terms of people visiting the park. cant recommend it enough!
One of the places in Funchal that seems to be well-kept. Large park with plenty of species and exhibitions is worth seeing. Can be reached by cable car or by car / bus drive.
- Nearby Attractions
- Nature Meetings
- Campo Da Barca
- Estalagem Eira Do Serrado
- Iate Clube De Santa Cruz (madeira)
- Levada Da Ribeira Da Janela
- Rua Da Paz
- Teleférico Do Monte
- Madeira Happy Tours
- Photographia – Museu “vicentes”
- Madeira Walks - Levadas, Hikes And Trekking
- Funchal Day-wise Trips
- What to See in 24 Hours in Funchal
- What to See in 48 Hours in Funchal
- What to See in 72 Hours in Funchal
- How to Spend 5 Days in Funchal
- How to Spend 6 Days in Funchal
- How to Spend 7 Days in Funchal