Monte Palace Tropical GardenCurrently Closed
- Address: Caminho do Monte, 174, 9050-288 Funchal, Portugal
- Timings: 09:30 am - 03:30 pm Details
- Phone: +351-291780800
- Ticket Price: 10 EUR
- Time Required: 05:00 Hrs
- Tags: Garden, Palace, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Nature
Monte Palace Tropical Garden - Review
Immerse yourself in the wonder of Nature in the green kingdom of plants and shrubs knitted tightly like a strand in a massive web of life. The scent of Azaleas and Orchids drift through the air, stirring your senses. Ponds with stepping stones and bridges lie like a blue plate, pulsating with koi and carp. Every trail takes you down Mother Nature’s store of fascinating flowers and stunning scenery with majestic peacocks lining the pathway. This is the Monte Palace Tropical Garden in Funchal.
White sheets of water cascade down into pools surrounded by pruned shrubbery, conical ferns, and Oriental sculptures at the Monte Palace Garden. This piece of paradise was the vision of the 18th century English Consul called Charles Murray, who bought property up the hill in Funchal. In 1987 Joe Berardo, a millionaire turned this place into a magical dream garden. He aimed at showcasing plants from all over the world and had a 1000year old olive tree relocated in the garden.
Joe Berardo was enchanted by the history and culture of China and Japan and this influenced him to create two oriental gardens in Monte Palace Garden.
These gardens represent Buddhism, and its respect for nature and its highly symbolic elements.
- There are moveable balls in the half open mouths of marble FO dogs, mythical animals which act as guards. Give it one complete turn and according to Chinese belief, good luck shall befall on the person.
- Sit on the stone seats, surrounded by stone lanterns and marvel at the marble Dragon surrounded by children in stone to represent fertility.
- Two bamboo ornaments shaped like pipes has water discharging through them into the lakes, representing the passing of time.
- The Berardo Collection of Zimbabwe stone sculpture is found in the museum along with 700 mineral specimens, from South America, North America and parts of Africa.
- A large collection of tile panels have been placed along the walkways and amongst the vegetation. This collection is one of the most important collection after that of the National Tile Museum in Portugal.
- The tiles represent different eras in time and depicts social, cultural, and religious events.
- The tallest vase is on display here.
- There is a small cafe which sells basic snacks and drinks.
- Staff is very helpful and informative.
Monte Palace Tropical Garden Information
- Best time to visit is early morning on sunny days.
- A lot of paths are pebbled, so not a place to visit if you have problems walking.
- An alternative method to get down is to use the toboggan.
- Taking a ride in the toboggan is costly and are not reliable.
- A walk down is not advisable, since it is nearly 2 miles downhill and very unsteady and steep.
- Wear sensible shoes because a lot of walking is involved.
- A golf buggy is available on the return trip all the way back up.
- Best to visit on days which are sunny, since its tropical and tends to get dull and dark.
- As an alternative method, you can choose to toboggan on the way back.
Monte Palace Tropical Garden Ticket Prices
- Children under 15: free entry
- Included in the ticket price of EU 10 is a free glass of Madeira wine at the cafe inside and a map and information leaflet.
- Entrance to the garden is free.
- If you take a combination of attractions you want to see then there is a discount on the price of the ticket.
Monte Palace Tropical Garden Hours
- Museum is open daily from 10.30AM to 3.30PM.
How To reach Monte Palace Tropical Garden by Public Transport
- The modern cable car is the easiest way to get to Monte and the Gardens are next to the station.
- To return to Funchal you can go by cable car, taxi, bus or toboggan.
- From Lido take Bus No: 48
- From Ave De Mer Bus No: 20 & 21
- Buy a preloaded giro card and use the Orange city buses.
Restaurants Near Monte Palace Tropical Garden
- Restaurante O Rustico
- Aqua Pest Dos Bicos
- Hortensia Tea Rooms
- Vila Da Rocha
- Restaurante Porta Trinta Edois
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Funchal before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Funchal and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Monte Palace Tropical Garden
95% of people who visit Funchal include Monte Palace Tropical Garden in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
91.15% of people start their Monte Palace Tropical Garden visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 5 Hrs to see Monte Palace Tropical Garden
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Monte Palace Tropical Garden
Monte Palace Tropical Garden Trips
Monte Palace Tropical Garden, Funchal Reviews
Monte Palace Tropical Garden Tour Reviews
Absolutely beautiful gardens, best i have ever seen, i missed a portion of it because we had to meet someone but i could have easily spent a whole day there, i would take a few sandwiches with me next time and sit in one of the many awesome areas for a break and then continue the walk around. Wear sensible comfy shoes as well. As a gardener i do adore trees and plants, there are hundreds to look at. I will visit again for sure and try and tempt my family or friends to go with me. Madeira is my all time fave place now.
Stunning! Lovely Japanese style gardens, amongst waterfalls and lots of tropical plants. Fantastic trip. Would go again. They also have the largest collection of gemstones and minerals that I have ever seen. Witnessing humongous amythest geodes and clusters of that volume was simply amazing. I felt like i was in heaven after leaving the Japanese section and seeing the lovely waterfall and pond before the palace. Especially when the weather was so glorious. I think these gardens are better than the botanical gardens, they are also beautiful. But if planning a trip to Madeira, definitely include these gardens on your visit!
Beautiful gardens. You can travel by cable car into the gardens. Highly recommended for the scenery. Lots of trees and plants. I'd never seen so many trees in one place! I'm not a massive garden person, but I really enjoyed these. Also great if you like walking.
It is a must to visit this place when in Funchal. All the plants in the garden are extraordinary - especially thousand years old olive trees are worth seeing! The area is well designed and it is a pleasure to take a walk around. Enjoy!
Probably the most beautiful garden I've ever been to. I've never been in such a large and tropical garden with beautiful flowers coming out everywhere. Just when you thought you had spotted the most exotic plant you turn a corner and there is an even prettier one. The garden also had a waterfall (with a swan and koi fish swimming around), a Japanese garden, an orchid garden, birds and parakeets, butterflies flying around and a truly stunning view over the ocean. Would definitely recommend! Also visit the cafe at the top. The food here was equally spectacular.
This is a beautiful place and as many told us: the most beautiful garden to visit on the island. We went on an organized tour and the combination (paid extra for and they do hope to get tips) with the sledges is made from this place. We would however, prefered to go on our own as we would have loved to roam around the enormous gemstone collection a lot longer. But we fully enjoyed the garden and it is well kept, amazing and even after all the flowers and walks on the island, it manages to enchant you!