Ponta De Sao Lourenco, FunchalCurrently Open
- Address: Eastern Madeira, Funchal, Portugal
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Tags: Outdoors, View Point, Family And Kids, Nature
About Ponta De Sao Lourenco, Funchal
Look down into the depth of the dark ocean from a hostile yet amazing landscape and feel the air swirl and eddy like the waters below. Alongthe entire rocky terrain feel the contrast of the choppy sea of the north and the calm south sea. The curious rock formations is a result of the volcanic origin of the island. Take a moment to appreciate the struggle by plants and animals to evolve and survive under turmoil and be a part of this wonderful masterpiece of Mother Nature. This is Ponta De Sao Lourence.
The waves of the North Sea crash into boulders creating a lace of foam. Brave swimmers can pick their way down to the breaking waves in this tempestuous sea. This is in complete contrast to the South Sea which is calm and serene where swimmers can swim and sunbathe in tranquillity.
There was a lighthouse built in 1870 on top of small inactive volcanoes which is now a Viewpoint. A walk around the narrow peninsula leads you to a peak just before the lighthouse.
- To begin the walk, start from the car park, go past the roundabout and take the track ahead. This track divides into two. On this right fork there are wooden steps to take you to the north. The road curves right and then a few more steps bring you back up. The goal of this hike is the sight of the rounded peak, the lighthouse, and an interesting arch carved out of the cliff by the waves.
- The right hand path also leads down to a small cove secluded beach.
- Walk down the left hand path and experience the marvellous view from a lookout point of the blue sea.
- After the ridge, the path reaches to a park ranger station on a plateau, from where the paths are maintained and wildlife observed.
- The final ascent gets a bit slippery since over the years, the volcanic soil has worn down and crumbled into dust.
- When you reach the top, you will be exhilarated with the views of the colourful cliffs, the lonely lighthouse, the massive ocean, and the Madeiran cost line.
- On the way back take the left path all the way to a small landing stage by the water, or back up a set of steps through a picnic area and join the outbound route.
- The final stretch is going to the outbound route over the ridge top and past the lookout point and back to the car park.
- The hiking time is between 2.5 to 3 hours for the 3km walk and there is a car park at the end of the road from start to finish.
- There are some wonderful photo stops on the way, time to relax, shoot and give your feet some much deserved rest.
- You can do this trek without a guide since all the paths are well marked and the trek can be done leisurely.
- Down at the beach you can snorkel and spend time with the stunning creatures that rule the waters.
Ponta De Sao Lourenco Information
- Everything along the path for the trek is secured with hand rails.
- You need walking boots or strong trainers, a supply of water and sun screen for the entire trek.
- There are no shade so take a straw hat.
- There are no toilets but a small chuck wagon provides relief as you wait for the bus.
- Beach is rocky but entering the water is not a problem since the rocks are not near the shore.
- Get there as early as possible because later in the day it gets busy.
How To reach Ponta De Sao Lourenco by Public Transport
- Bus 113 from centre of Funchal.
Restaurants Near Ponta De Sao Lourenco
- Muralhas Bar
- Restaurante Leone
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Funchal before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Funchal and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Ponta De Sao Lourenco
95% of people who visit Funchal include Ponta De Sao Lourenco in their plan
4 PM - 5 PM
30.37% of people start their Ponta De Sao Lourenco visit around 4 PM - 5 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Ponta De Sao Lourenco
94.49% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Ponta De Sao Lourenco