Built by Portuguese and fortified by Dutch, Galle Fort is declared as one of the living world heritages as an exceptional presentation of ‘an urban ensemble, which illustrates the interaction of European architecture and South Asian traditions from the 16th to the 19th centuries.’ The Fort is known for the ‘Ramparts of Galle’. Recognized by UNESCO for its cultural heritage value, the Fort was declared a World Heritage Site in 1988. On a visit to Galle fort you should stop by this beautiful old mosque that looks more like a church. Meera Mosque is the only Mosque in the fort premises. The mosque is located close to the lighthouse and so it offers breathtaking sunset views. Today a Museum is there with jewellery shops, cafes and interior design shops mingle with book stores and fashion outlets.
Originally constructed by the Dutch, Galle Fort is a World Heritage Site courtesy its distinct architecture and splendid view from the top. As a lot of people visit this historic site, it is better to buy tickets for Galle Fort beforehand. You can visit our ticketing section for details on Galle Fort ticket prices and for combo deals of Galle Fort tickets with other tour options. Book you tickets for Galle Fort in advance so as to not waste precious time in lengthy lines and unending queues.
Galle Dutch Fort Travel Tips
- Other Contact number is +94 (0) 912232569.
- You can visit this place throughout the year.
- Check for the rates with the hotel you are staying in before hiring any guide.
Entrance Ticket Details For Galle Dutch Fort
- National Maritime Museum – 65 LKR
- Galle Fort Ramparts – 45 LKR
Galle Dutch Fort Hours
- National Maritime Museum – 9:00 am to 7:00 am (Sat-Wed)
- National Museum – 9:00 am to 5:00 am (Wed-Sun)
- Galle Fort Ramparts – Around 5:00 pm
- Dutch Reformed Church – Anytime.
How to Reach Galle Dutch Fort
- Galle Central Bus Stand
- Lucky Fort Restaurant – Run by a family, serves home-made food.
- Crepe-ology – Popular for its delicious crepes.
- Galle Fort Hotel Restaurant – Serves Asian and fusion cuisine. Bar is open for the whole day.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Galle before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Galle and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Galle include Galle Dutch Fort in their plan
09 AM - 10 AM
54.85% of people start their Galle Dutch Fort visit around 09 AM - 10 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Galle Dutch Fort
63.79% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Galle Dutch Fort