Gangtok Tourism, India
Visit Gangtok - Best of Gangtok
The blessed town of Gangtok is the capital of Sikkim State in India. This lovely place has a tiny population and has a place of honor in the gorgeous Shivalik hills. Gangtok and the area around it is known for gorgeous lakes, wonderful views of the Himalayas and stunning and serene monasteries that line up the place.
As tiny as it is, Gangtok still offers a lot to explore. From trekking to boating to spiritual travelling, there are just so many activities to do here and hence so many different reasons to visit. This quaint, beautiful little city is blessed with natural beauty as well as secluded serenity making it the perfect tourist destination.
Gangtok Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Gangtok tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC+05:30
- Currency: Indian Rupee
- Language: Nepali, English and Hindi are predominant languages in Darjeeling. Other languages spoken here are Tibetan, Bhutia and Lepcha.
- Electricity and Internet: Voltage: 220V and 240V AC. For internet , free Wi-Fi access are available in some of the hotels.
- Security: 100 - Police Control Room, 101 – Fire control room, 102 – Ambulance Helpline, 1091 - Women’s Helpline
- Tipping: Tipping is not compulsory in India and hence you can tip in return if you’ve got a good service.
- Do leave a small donation at the monasteries. They are maintained entirely independently with the help of small donations by tourists and benevolent persons.
- Do take the necessary permits before visiting places like Nathu La. You will also need a permit to be in Gangtok if you are not an Indian National.
- Don’t touch anyone’s head. In Buddhist societies the head is considered to be sacred and touching it may be considered to be offensive.
Are you looking for a Gangtok travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Travel to Gangtok- Know before you go to Gangtok
Facts and Stats for Gangtok*
Gangtok: Crime and Safety
How safe is Gangtok for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Gangtok.
Mugging and Robbery 50 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 50 (Moderate)
Corruption and Bribery 50 (Moderate)
Car Stealing 50 (Moderate)
Robbery of Car belongings 50 (Moderate)
Attacks 50 (Moderate)
Drug offense 50 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 100 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 100 (Very High)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 50 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 50 (Moderate)
Property crimes and Vandalism 50 (Moderate)
Living in Gangtok - Quality of Life
Safety Index 68.75 (High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Gangtok Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Gangtok
- Aritar Tourism
- Rangpo Tourism
- Namchi Tourism
- Kalimpong Tourism
- Pelling Tourism
- Lachung Tourism
- Darjeeling Tourism
- Gauripur Tourism
- Ganganagar Tourism
- Bhurkuchi Tourism
- Mandira Pathar Tourism
- Barharwa Tourism
- Agra Tourism
- Leh Tourism
- Mumbai Tourism
- Delhi Tourism
- Amritsar Tourism
- Chennai Tourism
- Jaipur Tourism
- Panaji Tourism
- Varanasi Tourism