Nathu LaCurrently Open
- Address: Tsomgo Lake, Gangtok, Sikkim 737101, India
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Mountain, Family And Kids
Nathu La is a definite must visit from the city of Gangtok. This Pass in the Himalayas is on the border between India and China and one of the most interesting sites to see in Sikkim. You will need a permit to visit Nathu La and you can only access it through the Indian border but the place is worth the effort.
The Lovely place, set amidst the mountains and the snow is nothing short of absolutely gorgeous. Set at over 14.000 feet above sea level, the beautiful place used to be an important trade post and was and still is a place of pilgrimage for Buddhists as well as Hindus.
Nathu La is also home to several beautiful and rare species of animals from the mountains some of which you will be able to see here. The picturesque area makes for a great day trip from Gangtok and should certainly be on your must visit list.
- Please remember that you do need to get a permit to visit this place. You will need 2 passport size photos and a photo id for the same. It is best to get the permit from the tour operator.
- You can visit the Tsongmo Lake on the way to this place as well.
- The best time to visit Nathu La is during the months of March to October when the pass is not blocked by snow.
- Nathula is open only for Indian nationals on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- To visit Nathu La pass, you need valid Protected Area Permit.
- Do check for Public Transport options when you reach. Most tourists prefer to hire a car which is a lot more convenient in this hilly region.
- Local Kiosks. You will not find too many big restaurants here so take your own lunch if you are finicky.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Gangtok before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Gangtok and book an accommodation of your choice.
84.82% of people who visit Gangtok include Nathu La in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
51.35% of people start their Nathu La visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Nathu La
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Nathu La
Just breathtaking. The journey itself is pretty exciting. You will experience a change of surroundings as you go uphill. The weather was very good, sunny adding to our joy. Since the air is pretty thin one of us was feeling breathlessness and another person was feeling sleepy. We waited at the cafeteria at 14,000 ft. with great hot coffee. Then went to the top. The China border is like one ft. away. Since the sky was clear could see the highest peak of Bhutan, covered in snow. It is really heartening to see our soldiers protecting the border at such altitude in fierce weather. Hats off to them.
Very beautiful place and you can see from hair Lot of mountain hill and also ice. This place is historically place. 1967 India China war was happened here.
Have been there on 29th August 2018. Climate was pleasant. No fog or wind. Soldiers told that weather may change T any time. Breathtaking Scenery. Some members in our group had breathing problems. They stopped ascending steps. Spend there some time. There is a tea shop, can enjoy tea and snacks at about 14000feet. Also can get certificates for visiting Nathula.
This lake is fully freezed state. You really enjoy here. For go there you need to permission from army by the sharing cab through travel agent or where you stay in hotel. The time travel is from Gangtok is approximately 3 hour. I tell you that you really enjoy here. Try the traditional dress here and click some pictures for memories.
the frontier of INDIA-CHAINA border.... the place where where you can enjoy the beauty of nature as well as feel proud of our great soldiers.... a place to must visit when you come to Sikkim...