Nathu La3472 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Tsomgo Lake, Gangtok, Sikkim 737101, India Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 04:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids
Nathu La is a definite must visit from the city of Gangtok. This Pass in the Himalayas is on the border between India and China and one of the most interesting sites to see in Sikkim. You will need a permit to visit Nathu La and you can only access it through the Indian border but the place is worth the effort.
The Lovely place, set amidst the mountains and the snow is nothing short of absolutely gorgeous. Set at over 14.000 feet above sea level, the beautiful place used to be an important trade post and was and still is a place of pilgrimage for Buddhists as well as Hindus.
Nathu La is also home to several beautiful and rare species of animals from the mountains some of which you will be able to see here. The picturesque area makes for a great day trip from Gangtok and should certainly be on your must visit list.
Nathu La Travel Tips
- Please remember that you do need to get a permit to visit this place. You will need 2 passport size photos and a photo id for the same. It is best to get the permit from the tour operator.
- You can visit the Tsongmo Lake on the way to this place as well.
- The best time to visit Nathu La is during the months of March to October when the pass is not blocked by snow.
- Nathula is open only for Indian nationals on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- To visit Nathu La pass, you need valid Protected Area Permit.
How to Reach Nathu La
- Do check for Public Transport options when you reach. Most tourists prefer to hire a car which is a lot more convenient in this hilly region.
- Local Kiosks. You will not find too many big restaurants here so take your own lunch if you are finicky.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Gangtok before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Gangtok and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Nathu La Address: Tsomgo Lake, Gangtok, Sikkim 737101, India
- Nathu La Timing: 24-hrs
- Time required to visit Nathu La: 04:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
63.82% of people who visit Gangtok include Nathu La in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
51.35% of people start their Nathu La visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 4 Hrs to see Nathu La
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Nathu La
People normally club together Tsongmo Lake and Rumtek Monastery while planning their visit to Nathu La.