Pemayangtse MonasteryCurrently Closed
- Address: West Sikkim, Sikkim, Gangtok, India
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: 20 INR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Family And Kids, Monastery
One of the oldest monasteries in the area, the Pemyangtse Monastery is located near Pelling about two hours from Gangtok. This lovely monastery, founded perhaps in 1705, is an amazing place to visit from Bangkok.
It is a place worth visiting while in Gangtok. The building has withstood years and years of changing weather and although it has been occasionally refurbished, itsnatural strength is what makes it stand worth and tall.It also happens to be the most important and prestigious monastery in the region. Even the monks who are allowed entry into the place have to undergo a very strict screening process. This gives the place tremendous religious and cultural significance.
So if you are a culture seeker, this place is a definite must visit for you. It is monasteries like these that make this area what it is, so it is a wonderful experience to visit them and understand their ways of living.
- Do leave a small donation as these monasteries are mostly run on donations.
- For locals: 20INR
- For foreign visitors: ask the authorities
- The monastery is open everyday.
- Do check for Public Transport options when you reach. Most tourists prefer to hire a car which is a lot more convenient in this hilly region.
- Guptaji’s Hotel
- Saikripa Restaurant
- Adonai Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Gangtok before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Gangtok and book an accommodation of your choice.
72.63% of people who visit Gangtok include Pemayangtse Monastery in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
50.75% of people start their Pemayangtse Monastery visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Pemayangtse Monastery
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Pemayangtse Monastery