Are you looking for what to do in Gangtok?
Being one of the few hill stations of the Himalayan Mountain that isn’t constantly busy, you can truly take your time and enjoy the scenery. There is trekking ranging from beginner walks to rigorous week-long treks. There are a lot of shops for those who love to shop. Here are a few places worth visiting:
- Tashiding Monastery: The Tashiding Monastery is one of the many pretty ones worth seeing around Gangtok. Located atop a hill, the place overlooks the stunning Rangeet River that makes it not only a very important religious spot but also a wonderful, calm and serene tourist attraction. The building is colorful and artistically decorated.
- Ganesh Tok: Ganesh Tok is a much loved tourist spot in Gangtok. Some say it is the best viewing spot for spectacular vistas of the city. Whether this is true or not, it is certainly a great place to visit while in Gangtok.
- Enchey Monastery: Enchey Monastery is a tiny yet well-known place in Gangtok. If you don’t have a lot of time to spend in the city yet do not want to miss out one its beautiful monasteries, the Enchey Monastery, being quite easy to access is your best option.
- Himalayan Zoological Park: The Himalayan Zoological Park or the Gangtok Zoo is sure to be one of the most unique zoo experiences. All of nature’s bounty that the Himalayas have been blessed with has been preserved here in a rare collection. Even if you are planning a short trip don’t forget to put this one on your list.
- Tsongmo Lake: Also known as Changu Lake, the Tsongmo Lake is most definitely a must visit summer as well as winter site near Gangtok. About 2 hours from the city this serene glacial lake is a lovely retreat for the Sikkim tourist.
- Nathu La: Nathu La is a definite must visit from the city of Gangtok. This Pass in the Himalayas is on the border between India and China and one of the most interesting sites to see in Sikkim. You will need a permit to visit Nathu La and you can only access it through the Indian border but the place is worth the effort.
- Gangtok has a surprisingly lively nightlife. You will come across quite a few bars and restaurants and spaces to hang out in, in this lovely place.
- Lounge 31a: It is a great place to watch the sunset while enjoying your drink. The party can then go on!
- Indulge: This Bar Café is a great place to hang out with friends. The lovely ambience certainly helps.
- The Square: This is a slightly expensive and yet a worthy place. You will get great food and a classy atmosphere and a place to hang out in.
- Orthodox: This place is cozy and warm and hence an ideal way to spend the evening.
Below we have a list of things to do in Gangtok and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Gangtok getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Gangtok with confidence.