How to Reach Garmisch-partenkirchen
Garmisch-Partenkirchen is located just about 90 kilometers away from Munich. This makes it easier to reach the resort town via air rail, as well as road.
- By Air: The nearest airport is said to be the Innsbruck Airport. It is located around 59 kilometers from the town center of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It is a scenic road between the airport and the resort town that you may cover within an hour on wheels. The Munich International Airport is located about 126 kilometers away and it takes about one and a half hours to reach the ton center.
- By Rail: Trains are the best mode of transport to reach Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The Garmisch-Partenkirchen railway station is well-connected with other major cities like Innbruck, Mittenwald, Reutte, and Munich. Services such as Intercity-Express, RegionalExpress, and RegionalBahn are provided for the convenience of transportation. The RegionalBahn and RegionalExpress services are faster between Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen as compared to Intercity-Express.
- By Road: Garmisch-Partenkirchen has a good road connectivity. These roads also offer panoramic vistas along the journey. You may either choose to travel by regional and city buses or rent a car and drive along the beautiful roads to reach Garmisch-partenkirchen.
- Local Buses: The local transportation system of Garmish-Partenkirchen is very reliable. You will find buses running at a period of 30 minutes along the lines #1, #2, #3, #4, and #5. You may either buy a separate ticket during each journey on a local bus which is about 1.5 euro or a buy a weekly or monthly pass. If you choose to stay at hotels in the town, then you would receive a pass free for usage during your stay. The main stops along all the lines include Marienplatz, Rathaus, Bahnhof.
- Taxis: Taxis can be found to be parked outside the Marienplatz and the Train Station.
Besides these ways to move around Garmisch-Partenkirchen, you may also use aerial cable cars, gondolas, and a cogwheel railway.