Zugspitze3 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Zugspitze, 82491 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, 82467
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 06:45 Hrs
- Tags: Hiking Trail, Family And Kids, Peak, Nature, Mountain Climbing, Landmarks, Natural, Mountains
Standing at an astounding height of 9718 feet above the mean sea level, the Zugspitze Mountain peak is not just the highest peak of the Wetterstein Mountain range but also the highest mountain peak in Germany! The Austria–Germany border overlaps with the western summit. The Zugspitzplatt lies to the south of the mountain and is known for its karst (limestone) plateau and has a number of caves that have formed over thousands of years! The three glaciers of the Zugspitze have a special importance since 2 of them (Schneeferner and Höllentalferner) are the largest glaciers in the country. There are multiple pathways to reach the summit of the mountain but the path that runs along the knife-edged Jubilee Ridge is one of the most popular pathways for hikers since it extends to meet the mountain peaks of Hochblassen and Alpspitze as well.
There are cable cars available that take you right to the summit and offer fabulous aerial views of the Alps. The summit has a few restaurants and a lookout point that has become a popular attraction in Germany. Geologically, the entire terrain shows strata of sedimentary rocks that date back to the Mesozoic Era that was laid down on a seabed. The upper layers of the mountains show distinct Wetterstein limestone dating back to the Upper Triassic period which is most prominently seen in the rock faces and the summits. You can still find the presence of coralline algae here which deduces that this area was once part of a lagoon.
The mountain is surrounded by lush green forests that are home to trees like spruce, fir, calamint and a number of herbs and flowering plants including edelweiss, sticky sage, and butterbur. The wildlife seen here is diverse with red deer, grouses, water bears, golden eagles, crag martin, and alpine accentors being a common sight.
If you love the wilderness or simply want to explore the grandeur of the Alps, there is simply no other place than the Zugspitze! For ease, try to take a local hiking tour to make the most of your trip here.
Zugspitze Travel Tips
- Carry bottled drinking water and snacks for the hike.
- Wear sturdy shoes and warm clothes.
Entrance Ticket Details For Zugspitze
Zugspitze Cable Car Ticket Prices Includes one mountain ascent and descent, either in the form of a round trip on the cogwheel train, a ride on the Gletscherbahn cable car and the Cable car Zugspitze. You can use the Gletscherbahn cable car as often you like on the day of your visit.
- Adults: 56.00 Euros
- Age 16-18 years: 41.00 Euros
- Children 6-15 years: 32.00 Euros
Zugspitze Cable car ticket for Ascent or descent (one way):
- Adults: 33.50 Euros
- Age 16-18 years: 26.50 Euros
- Children 6-15 years: 18.50 Euros
2 Peak pass for Zugspitze + Garmisch-Classic:
- Adults: 67.00 Euros
- Age 16-18 years: 53.50 Euros
- Children 6-15 years: 36.50 Euros
Zugspitze ticket (Family Prices): Includes one mountain ascent and descent, either in the form of a round trip on the cogwheel train, a ride on the Gletscherbahn cable car and the Cable car Zugspitze. You can use the Gletscherbahn cable car as often you like on the day of your visit.
- 1 Adult +1 Child: 67.00 Euros
- 1 Adult +2 Children: 78.00 Euros
- 1 Adult +3 Children: 89.00 Euros
- 2 Adult +1 Child: 123.00 Euros
- 2 Adults +2 Children: 134.00 Euros
- 2 Adults +3 Children: 145.00 Euros
Family Prices for Ascent or descent only:
- 1 Adult +1 Child: 83.00 Euros
- 1 Adult +2 Children: 99.00 Euros
- 1 Adult +3 Children: 115.00 Euros
- 2 Adult +1 Child: 150.00 Euros
- 2 Adults +2 Children: 166.00 Euros
- 2 Adults +3 Children: 182.00 Euros
Note: Carry ID proof for age
- Cable car Zugspitze Operating Hours (Lake Eibsee to Zugspitze summit): Opening Hours- 8:30 am to 4:45 pm it runs at least half-hourly. Other rides are available on demand. The last ascent is 30 minutes before the closing time.
- Glacier Cable Car (Zugspitze glacier to Zugspitze summit): Runs during the operating timings of Zahnradbahn and Zugspitze cable car.
How to Reach Zugspitze
- By Bus: Ehrwald Zugspitzbahn Talstation (3.5 kilometers away)
- By Train: Ehrwald Zugspitzbahn Talstation (3.5 kilometers away)
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Garmisch-partenkirchen before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Garmisch-partenkirchen and book an accommodation of your choice.