Gaziantep CastleCurrently Closed
- Address: City Center, Gaziantep, Turkey
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Mosque, River, Observatory, Castle, Historical Site, Statue, Family And Kids, Tower, Monastery
Sitting right in the middle of the city is the mysterious yet intimidating castle of Gaziantep. What was supposed to be just an observation tower in the Roman period eventually became a humongous structure that it is now. Its present form was given to it by a Byzantine emperor in the sixth century. 100 metres in diameter and 1200 metres in width, this castle has 12 towers and bastions. Highlights include:
- Remains of baths, cisterns and mosques
- The halls, the galleries and the corridors
- The view of the river
- Saint Nerses Church and the Barsavma monastery
- A 75m deep well
- Long winding hallways and beautiful statues
- Restoration might be in progress. Call up the tourism office and confirm if the place is open for public.
- Do not forget to bargain if you shop at the bazaar near the castle.
- Bus: OtobusDuragi@TislakiMh
- Baklavaci Suat Usta
- Yener Usta'ninYeri
- Guner Pideve Lahmacun
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Gaziantep before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Gaziantep and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Gaziantep include Gaziantep Castle in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
90.91% of people start their Gaziantep Castle visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Gaziantep Castle
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Gaziantep Castle
A lot of excellent work has been done and continues on the historic castle and walkways. It is a pity that the access to the wall edges is denied due to it deemed unsafe. There is a comprehensive display of the war history of Antep in the Panorama Museum within the castle. Needs lots of time to take all this information in.
This place oozes Turkish history. It is more of a museum than a castle, with its walls decorated with art pieces depicting the region's rich history. The whole tour is short, but definitely well worth the 2TL price. Recommended.
Well, great view. I’m not into museums and history so can’t make comments about that part. The view was satisfactory...
The green areas around the castle are good place to enjoy the sunshine, the ancient streets around, the traditional food markets and also the castle it self got a museum inside will make you travel back the century. A very nice place to visit in Gaziantep
Good site sebring of the city.. there is a free panoramic show inside the castle. Most of the old castle is under restoration and not open for visitors.