Albayzin, Granada - Address
Address: On the hillside opposite the Alhambra, Granada, Spain
Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 20.5K times in trip plans
Walking Area, Historical Site, Neighborhoods
Try TripHobo to create your itinerary
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Albayzin, Granada
Even in small cities and towns each district has its own flavour, usually marked with its distinct inhabitants, local commerce or architecture. Famous examples include New Orleans’ French Quarter and Antwerp’s famous diamond district. Albayzin, a district in Granada, belongs on the same list as those distinguished districts; an opinion shared by UNESCO as it was declared a World Heritage Site in 1984. Apart from being the area facing and therefore providing views of the fantastic Alhambra, its claim to fame is its rich Moorish architecture. Wander around its narrow twisting streets and gaze upon some original Moorish buildings, some dating back to the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries. It’s a place you can mingle with the locals and observe the day to day happenings. The bars and restaurants dotted around the locality provide some respite when you are tired of walking.
- Travel light, you will be walking around a neighbourhood, don’t be encumbered with heavy baggage.
- Sunscreen and comfortable walking shoes are good ideas.
- Catch a Flamenco dance.
- Tickets are never sold out for the Flamenco dances, so don’t be conned into thinking they are. Surf around, there are plenty of places offering the same thing.
- The picturesque district has many steep steps carved into it, be careful!
- The church of San Nicolas offers a great viewing point from where one can look at the Alhambra.
- Granada’s archaeological museum is located here. Not the oldest of civilizations Spain, but you may find some good medieval artefacts.
- Visit the remains of the Arab bath complex.
- The Church of San Salvador which was built on the ruins of a Moorish mosque.
- This quiet district is also good to live in when you are visiting Granada.
Albayzin Ticket Prices
- Entry is free.
- Paid guided tours are available.
Albayzin Opening and Closing Hours
- Neighborhood is open all over the year.
- Individual attractions will have separate timings.
How To reach Albayzin by Public Transport
- Take bus number 31
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Granada before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Granada and book an accommodation of your choice.