Tours for Sacromonte
About Sacromonte, Granada
Yet another noteworthy neighbourhood, this one is known more for its people than the architecture. This hilly area is called Sacromonte, which translates to “sacred mount”, and it is named after the Sacromonte Abbey which was built in 1600. But its origins date back to Roman times, where mines were cut into the hillside. These subsequently became catacombs and the current neighbourhood is built on them. Like most of Andalusia it was under Moorish rule, but in the 16th century relics emerged that proved its Christian history. These relics were later shown to be fabricated, though the saint attributed to them, Saint Cecilius, is still considered to be Granada’s patron saint and first bishop. More interesting is the fact that the hillsides are the traditional Gitano quarter of the city. The Gitano are the Spanish Romani, otherwise known as gypsies, and this area has the highest concentration of Romani in Spain. The caves on the hillside have been converted into simple homes by the Gitano community. The gypsies are renowned for the Flamenco dance and music, though the origins of Flamenco are purely Andalusian.
- Travel light, you will be walking around a neighbourhood, don’t be encumbered with heavy baggage.
- Sunscreen, water and comfortable walking shoes are good ideas.
- The view from the top of the hill is spectacular. One gets to see both the Alhambra and Albayzin.
- Tickets are never sold out for the Flamenco dances, so don’t be conned into thinking they are. Surf around, there are plenty of places offering the same thing.
- The climb up the hill is quite steep. Take a bus or a Segway tour.
- Be sure to catch a Flamenco dance as the Gitano style is a different.
- The Cave Museum of Sacromonte offers a look into the life of the people that inhabit this area.
Sacromonte Tickets Prices
- Free entry
- Paid guided tours are available.
- Various attractions may have individual entry fee.
Sacromonte Opening and Closing Hours
- Neighborhood is open throughout the year.
- Individual attractions will have separate timings.
How To Get To Sacromonte by Public Transport
- Bus C2 stops at Sacromonte – Santo Sepulcro.
Restaurants Near Sacromonte
- The neighbourhood is dotted with eateries and bars.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Granada before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Granada and book an accommodation of your choice.
Book Sacromonte Tickets And Tours
Learn to dance flamenco in a Sacromonte Cave in Granada with a private instructor during a private 45-minute or 1.5-hour class! Embodying the fiery Spanish culture for centuries, flamenco dancing traces its roots to Andalucia and its most passionate displays can be found in Granada. Follow the lead of Spanish gypsies who brought the dance moves to the town’s famous Sacromonte Caves and learn the moves of this dramatic form of dance!
Watch a flamenco show in a Sacromonte cave in Granada, and then explore the UNESCO World Heritage-listed neighborhood of Albaicin on an evening walking tour. Inside an authentic flamenco joint âÂÂ Cuevas Los Tarantos âÂÂ sit back and relax with a drink, or perhaps upgrade to include a 3-course dinner, while watching a regional type of flamenco known as âÂÂzambra.âÂÂ Before returning to your hotel, stroll around Albaicin with a guide and see unforgettable views of the Alhambra palace complex, illuminated by night.
Enjoy this day trip from Seville to Granada, which will include Alhambra ticket, a walking tour of Albaycin and Sacromonte and a visit to many more places.
Explore the Alhambra, and then ride a Segway or electric bike around the picturesque Albaicin and Sacromonte districts on this Granada combo tour. In the morning, use your skip-the-line ticket to head straight inside the Alhambra. Enjoy a 3-hour walking tour of the palaces and courtyards, once the retreat of Moorish sultans and kings, and explore the Generalife gardens. After some free time, hop on a Segway or electric bike to ride around the charming Albaicin district and hillside Sacromonte with its gypsy caves.
Share your experience - Rate Sacromonte, Granada
- Nearby Attractions
- Granada Cathedral
- Paseo De Los Tristes
- Monastery Of San Jeronimo De Granada
- Mezquita Mayor De Granada
- Monasterio Cartuja
- Carmen De Los Martires
- Plaza De Bib-rambla
- Plaza Nueva
- Fundacion Rodriguez-acosta
- Palace Of Charles V
- Hotels Near Sacromonte
- Hotels Near Sacromonte
- 5 Star Hotels Near Sacromonte
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Sacromonte
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Sacromonte
- Budget Hotels Near Sacromonte
- Cheap Hotels Near Sacromonte
- Luxury Hotels Near Sacromonte
- Granada Day-wise Trips
- 1 Day in Granada
- 2 Days in Granada
- 3 Days in Granada
- 4 Days in Granada
- 5 Days in Granada
- 6 Days in Granada
- 7 Days in Granada