El Tovar Hotel
About El Tovar Hotel, Grand Canyon Village
The El Tovar Hotel, also known simply as El Tovar, is a former Harvey House hotel situated directly on the south rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona, United States. The hotel was designed by Charles Whittlesey, Chief Architect for the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway and was opened in 1905 as one of a chain of hotels and restaurants owned and operated by the Fred Harvey Company in conjunction with the Santa Fe railway whose Grand Canyon Depot was 100 metres (330 ft) away. It is at the northern terminus of the Grand Canyon Railway, which was formerly a branch of the Santa Fe. The hotel is one of only a handful of Harvey House facilities that are still in operation, and is an early example of the style that would evolve into National Park Service Rustic architecture. The Hotel is also featured in the 1983 film, National Lampoon's Vacation.Wikipedia
Overview of El Tovar Hotel
On your visit to Grand Canyon Village, consider visiting El Tovar Hotel. Although listed here, El Tovar Hotel is not one of the most visited sightseeing places in Grand Canyon Village.
More about Grand Canyon Village
Try the best Grand Canyon Village trip planner to visit this El Tovar Hotel as well as many others.
Book perfect hotels in Grand Canyon Village like Red Feather Lodge/motel, Red Feather Lodge/hotel, The Grand Hotel At The Grand Canyon and Grand Canyon Plaza Hotel.
Share your experience - Rate El Tovar Hotel, Grand Canyon Village
My family and I stayed at El Tovar Hotel by the South Rim and thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. We spent lots of time hiking, so having the hotel right there in the middle of all of it was very convenient. The rooms were small, but you don't stay at El Tovar to be inside anyways. We had dinner there one night and really enjoyed that as well. One of my favorite things (besides its location) was the large front porch with rockers and swings. It was truly serene being able to just comfortably hangout and take in all the beautiful views.
Service was impeccable, which is hard to find these days, so we appreciated that. Located in a very cool old lodge built in 1902, which we loved! Pretty good dinner time views of the Grand Canyon. Food was well priced and decently good, but not knock your socks off. For an area with very few dinner options, this is a good one.
We had dinner reservations here. We were seated within a few minutes of our reservation time. Our waitress (Glenda) was beyond pleasant. She was so nice and made sure everything was perfect especially for our 6 year old. A nice tip to remember is that if you aren't feeling like a huge dinner they can prepare any dish in half portions. The food was delicious and I would eat there again when/if we make it back to the Grand Canyon.
The room was very small for the cost and the location of the hotel, while close to the canyon, still required a bus to take you to bigger highlights. The food menu was quite impressive but lacked flavor when it came to eating things. The fridge in the room for cooling our water didn't work at all and the ac was also busted leaving us quite warm during the evening. Great access to lots of good gift shops and places to buy different things. No reserved hotel parking. It's a free for all.
The El Tovar Hotel is extremely nice. It is a historical hotel built in 1905 by the Fred Harvey company. Xanterra the company that operates it does a great job. And for good service for Breakfast ask for Amber. You definitely can't go wrong with her. Best service ever!
- Other Attractions
- Tortuguero National Park
- Cahuita National Park
- Sobre Las Olas
- Aviarios Del Caribe Sloth Sanctuary
- Tree Of Life Wildlife Centre And Botanical Gardens
- Pizzeria Cahuita
- Caribbean Coconut
- Coco's Bar
- Alma Verde
- Playa Blanca
- Hotels for other Attractions
- 5 Star Hotels Near Tortuguero National Park
- Luxury Hotels Near Cahuita National Park
- 4 Star Hotels Hotels Near Sobre Las Olas
- Budget Hotels Near Aviarios Del Caribe Sloth Sanctuary
- 3 Star Hotels Hotels Near Tree Of Life Wildlife Centre And Botanical Gardens
- Budget Hotels Near Pizzeria Cahuita
- 5 Star Hotels Near Caribbean Coconut
- 5 Star Hotels Near Coco's Bar
- Hotels Near Alma Verde
- 5 Star Hotels Near Playa Blanca
- City Tripplans
- 44 Day Trip to United States, Cuba, Mexico from Kiev
- 16 Day Trip to Los Angeles, Grand Canyon National Park, Las Vegas, Sequoia National Park, Yosemite National Park, San Francisco, Santa Barbara from Frankfurt
- 18 Day Trip to Las Vegas, Washington D. C., New York City, Houston, Mountain View, Grand Canyon Village from Johannesburg
- 6 Day Trip to Grand Canyon Village from Pune
- 2018 50 years Home to Grand Canyon v1
- 4 Days Trip to grand canyon village
- 13 Day Trip to San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Flagstaff from Austin
- 9 Day Trip to Los Angeles, Grand Canyon Village, Keystone from Newark
- 3 Days Trip to grand canyon village
- 5 Days Trip to grand canyon village