Back in the 12th century, this used to be Graz’s main marketplace. It’s area was cut in half when the Renaissance Town House was built. Most of the houses around the square have lovely Renaissance and Gothic facades. A lot of cobbled little alleys lead into the square. You may want to check these out; there are a lot of cafes and bars and restaurants here. There’s almost always something happening at the square – it’s a great place to people watch. Sightseeing wise, you’re here for the atmosphere, which is lively, and also:
- The Graz Town Hall
- The White Moorish House
- The Luegg House
- The Archduke Johann Fountain
Hauptplatz Travel Tips
- This is one of the only two squares in the city where every tram stops.
- Shops in the square usually shut down by 7pm.
How to Reach Hauptplatz
- Tram No 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 14 Hauptplatz/Congress tram stop
- Graz Opernring Bus Stop
- Graz Andreas-Hofer-Platz: Buses 140, 200, 220, 300, 324, 350, 470, 500, 560, 570, 631, 650, 5370.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Graz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Graz and book an accommodation of your choice.
60.74% of people who visit Graz include Hauptplatz in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
33.96% of people start their Hauptplatz visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Hauptplatz
65.35% of people prefer walking in order to reach Hauptplatz