Schloss EggenbergCurrently Open [Closes at 06:00 pm]
- Address: Eggenberg, 8020 Graz, Austria
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +43316-80179770
- Ticket Price: 12 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Museum, Garden, View Point, Walking Area, Palace, Tourist Center, Family And Kids, Architecture
Schloss Eggenberg - Review
This palace is flamboyant and brilliant. Apparently its architecture and layout are supposed to reflect the universe – they follow a very particular mathematics and allegory. It’s one of the grandest Baroque palaces in Styria. The attraction comprises of three parts:
The Palace Grounds: beautiful geometrical pathways course straight through neat lawns and pretty woods, following Italian and French landscaping styles. You may even sight white and blue peacocks on the grounds. In the northern corner of the grounds is a Planetary Garden. There is also a Lapidarium, where ancient Roman sculptures are exhibited.
The State Rooms: These lavish rooms have been preserved more or less identically to their 17th and 18th century designs, whether in furniture, tapestry or paintings.
The highglights are:
- The Planetary Room – astrology, mythology and other symbolism are united in a complex allegory in this room. It’s one of the best examples of Baroque interiors in the world. Check out the frescoes of the sun and the zodiac signs.
- The Indian Rooms, the Raunacher Rooms.
- The Osaka Folding Screen – a Japanese masterpiece.
- The Rococo Palace church.
Schloss Eggenberg Information
- You’re only allowed in the State house as part of a guided tour.
- Fully disabled accessible.
- Check out the museum shop.
Schloss Eggenberg Ticket Prices
- EUR 9.50 for groups of 7+, senior citizens and the diabled.
- ER 5.50 for students under 27 and civil servants.
- Free for under 6.
- Guided tours are not included in ticket price.
- EUR 2 to visit the gardens.
Schloss Eggenberg Hours
Guided tours timings:
- April - October, Tue-Sun: at 10am, 11am, 12am and hourly from 2pm-4pm
Park and Gardens:
- April - October: 8am-7pm
- November - March: 8am-5pm
Alte Galerie,Archaeology Museum und Coin Cabinet:
- Wednesday – Sunday: 10am-5pm
- Closed Jan 7th - March
How To reach Schloss Eggenberg by Public Transport
- Schloss Eggenberg Tram Stop You may have to drive to here.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Graz before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Graz and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Schloss Eggenberg
83.48% of people who visit Graz include Schloss Eggenberg in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
53.19% of people start their Schloss Eggenberg visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Schloss Eggenberg
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Schloss Eggenberg
Schloss Eggenberg Trips
Schloss Eggenberg, Graz Reviews
Really big open space with wonderful trees and plants. The castle itself is very nice too. In the park there is a wonderful small cafe, where you can drink excellent coffee and traditional Austrian deserts. It is really peaceful and it is perfect to meet with friends and talk.
Grand castle and grounds. We went on a Monday, which meant that the state rooms couldn't be visited. However, after paying the 2€ entry fee, we were able to walk around the gardens and enjoy the peace, tranquility and shade! Furthermore, we could enter the patio of the castle and see the interesting fountain there. It was also possible to climb the stairs and walk through the upper arcades. The grounds feature a cute pavillion where food and drinks are served. One of the highlights was the abundance of peacocks wandering the gardens!
Wonderful place to visit! You can travel here by the tram but you should go before 4PM so you can also visit the Museum and other parts. But visiting only the park is also worth the time and money.
Beautiful castle. Unfortunately can only be visited with a tour guide which run 1×hour. The gardens also were not kept very well. Staff were not at all helpful or kind. Pity... such a gorgeous place.
Old castle with nice landscape park around it. Clean air and very pleasant for visits because it's not so crowded at any time of day.