Gunnuhver Hot Springs, Grindavik
Gunnuhver Hot Springs - A Quick Overview[Contribute/Review]
Address: Gunnuhver, Iceland, Grindavik
Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
Timings: 24-hrs Details
Added 5.4K times in trip plans
Light House, Hot Spring, Family And Kids
Plan your trip to this place efficiently using TripHobo!
Are you associated with this business? Get in touch
About Gunnuhver Hot Springs, Grindavik
Located east of the well-known Reykjanes Light House, is a lesser known natural wonder called the Gunnuhver Hot Springs. Popular legend says that the place was named after a naughty ghost called Gunna, who wreaked havoc in the area 400 years back. A priest finally trapped her and and sent her straight through the geyser. Whether the story is true or not, the fact that these hot springs are a sight to behold. You can watch the geyser shoot up every few minutes, with boiling hot water spurting out. Sometimes, there might be ice formed on top of the geyser, which causes icicles to shoot out with the water. The hot and bubbling pools of mud is another marvel of nature. Iceland's largest mud pool is present here, with a diameter of 20 metres, boiling away vigorously at the the rim. This place is definitely not one to miss out.
Gunnuhver Hot Springs Information
- The path leading to the geyser is a steep, dirt road without signages. The steam is your only indicator for navigation.
- During winters, the roads tend to get icy.
- For those with cameras, be careful to not get steam to blow on your camera. They might form droplets on the camera lens.
- The sulphur smell is stronger as you get closer, and might be too overwhelming for some people.
- The water in the geyser and pools is almost 100 degrees Celcius, so refrain from dipping your foot in any, to avoid burns.
- It is advisable to stay on the custom made boardwalks.
How To reach Gunnuhver Hot Springs by Public Transport
- Rent a car.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Grindavik before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Grindavik and book an accommodation of your choice.