Gunnuhver Hot SpringsCurrently Open
- Address: Gunnuhver, Iceland, Grindavik
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Light House, Hot Spring, Family And Kids
Gunnuhver Hot Springs - Review
Located east of the well-known Reykjanes Light House, is a lesser known natural wonder called the Gunnuhver Hot Springs. Popular legend says that the place was named after a naughty ghost called Gunna, who wreaked havoc in the area 400 years back. A priest finally trapped her and and sent her straight through the geyser. Whether the story is true or not, the fact that these hot springs are a sight to behold. You can watch the geyser shoot up every few minutes, with boiling hot water spurting out. Sometimes, there might be ice formed on top of the geyser, which causes icicles to shoot out with the water. The hot and bubbling pools of mud is another marvel of nature. Iceland's largest mud pool is present here, with a diameter of 20 metres, boiling away vigorously at the the rim. This place is definitely not one to miss out.
Gunnuhver Hot Springs Information
- The path leading to the geyser is a steep, dirt road without signages. The steam is your only indicator for navigation.
- During winters, the roads tend to get icy.
- For those with cameras, be careful to not get steam to blow on your camera. They might form droplets on the camera lens.
- The sulphur smell is stronger as you get closer, and might be too overwhelming for some people.
- The water in the geyser and pools is almost 100 degrees Celcius, so refrain from dipping your foot in any, to avoid burns.
- It is advisable to stay on the custom made boardwalks.
How To reach Gunnuhver Hot Springs by Public Transport
- Rent a car.
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Grindavik before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Grindavik and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Gunnuhver Hot Springs
95% of people who visit Grindavik include Gunnuhver Hot Springs in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
28.89% of people start their Gunnuhver Hot Springs visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Gunnuhver Hot Springs
93.76% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Gunnuhver Hot Springs
Gunnuhver Hot Springs Map
Gunnuhver Hot Springs Trips
Gunnuhver Hot Springs, Grindavik Reviews
All QuestionsGunnuhver hot springs
- St John Lutheran Church
- Christian Dental Society
- St Paul's Lutheran Church
- Tripoli Swimming Pool
- North Woods County Park
- Immaculate Conception Church
- Sunset Community Theatre
- St Peter's Lutheran Church
- Liquid Glass Power Boats
- Faith Evangelical Parsonage
- First Baptist Church
- Faith Evangelical Church
- Meadowbrook Country Club
- Water Tower Park
- Saint Johns Lutheran Church