Myrdalsjokull14 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Myrdalsjokull, Vik i Myrdal, Vik, Iceland
- Time Required: 08:00 Hrs
- Tags: Hiking Trail, Family And Kids
The Myrdalsjokull Glacier is Iceland’s 4th largest ice cap with its peak at 1493 metres. The glacier covers a massive area of 600 square kilometres and caps the active Katla volcano that erupts once in every 40-80 years! The last eruption took place in the early 20th century and even today scientists observe the activity around the glacier. You can still see the black volcanic ash around the glacier from these eruptions.
Today, the Glacier’s ice blue expanse along with the sheer varying topography, makes it one of the most loved places for serious trekkers. The Fimmvorouhals hiking trail is the preferred pathway since it offers fabulous views of both Eyjafjallajokull and Myrdalsjokull. The complete hike is usually a 3-day affair but parts of the trail are often completed with daily tours.
The glaciers are explored by snowmobiles, jeeps, dog sledges and even ice climbing and no matter what you choose, the untouched ice, beautiful snow covered peak and valleys and the fact that there are no settlements on the horizon, transports you into a different world altogether. For those who have a environmental friendly heart, you can learn about how the ice is affected by global warming, see small springs emerge from the mountains and witness gorgeous ice formations that have formed naturally over thousands of years. Don’t miss taking a photo of the ‘Ice Castle’ Formation seen at the Myrdalsjokull glacier during your traverse.
Myrdalsjokull Travel Tips
- It is recommended to explore the glacier through a local tour organiser.
- Do wear sturdy shoes and heavy duty, warm clothes.
Entrance Ticket Details For Myrdalsjokull
- Visit the official website of local tour organisers for tour and rental prices.
- For timings of local tours, visit the official website of the organisers.
- Recommended time of arrival: 9.00 am – 11.00 am
How to Reach Myrdalsjokull
- By renting a Car/ Bike
- If you are opting for a local tour, the transportation will most probably be included.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Vik before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Vik and book an accommodation of your choice.