Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary2495 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Farukhnagar Road, Sultanpur, Haryana, 122505, Gurgaon, India
- Timings: 06:30 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +91-1242015670
- Ticket Price: 5 INR
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: National Park, Trail, Wildlife Sanctuary , Park, Family And Kids, Nature
Sultanpur was named after Rajput Chauhan Sultan Singh. It was a center for salt extraction. The bird sanctuary was founded by Peter Jackson, an ornithologist and Honorary Secretary of the Delhi Birdwatching Society during that time. He wrote about the urgency of its protection to the Mrs. Indira Gandhi, who then instructed the Chief Minister of Haryana to protect the lake and at last it was opened officially in 1972 and was later declared as a National Park in 1989.
It is in the Gurgaon district of Haryana and is the best place where bird-watchers can spend quality time admiring beautiful migratory birds. It is not very far from Delhi, which has made it a popular weekend hangout for many Delhi, Noida, Haryana and Faridabad residents. The Haryana government has taken a lot of effort to maintain the bio-diversity and beauty of the place for the birds migrating here from all over Asia and Europe. The vegetation of the place is constantly being improved by planting trees like Acacia Nilotica, Acacia Totilis, Berries and Neem, etc.
There are almost 250 species of birds- some resident whereas some which come from all over Siberia, Europe and Afghanistan. Some of the birds that you can see here all over the year are; Common Hoopoe, Paddyfield Pipit, Purple Sunbird, Little Cormorant, Eurasian Thick-knee, Gray Francolin, Black Francolin, Indian Roller, White-throated Kingfisher, Spot Billed Duck, Painted Stork, White Ibis, Black headed Ibis, etc. During winters the Sultanpur bird sanctuary provides an amazing view of migratory birds such as- Siberian Crane, Greater Flamingo, Rough Black-winged Stilt, Common Teal, Common Greenshank, Northern Pintail, Yellow Wagtail, White Wagtail, Northern Shoveler, Rosy Pelican, Gadwal, Wood Sandpiper, etc. The summer birds are- Asian Koel, Black Crowned Night Heron, Eurasian Golden Oriole, Comb Duck, Blue cheeked Bee Eater, Blue-tailed Bee Eater and Cuckoos, etc.
This Park is the most mesmerizing places to enjoy the natural beauty and the serenity of nature and to bathe in the chirping music of the beautiful birds.
Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary Travel Tips
- There are four watch towers and mounds for visitors to get a better view of the birds.
- There is also an information center dedicated to the famous ornithologist, Dr. Salim Ali where you can get more information on the birds and also a display of Dr. Salim Ali’s write-ups and photographs.
- The vegetation here is very dry in spite of the beautiful water body. The vegetation includes Savannah Grasslands, and trees like Jamun, Khair, Tendu, Ber, Banyan and Dhok.
- The climate here is typical North Indian type where summers are harsh and hot and winters can get extremely cold.
- There is also a guest house within the place known as Rosy Pelican.
- Rented binoculars are available.
- The place has toilet and drinking water facilities also.
- You should concentrate more on the shallow waters of the lake as this is where you can find more birds.
- Visit the park early in the morning for the best experience.
- The place is 40 kms from Dhaula Khan in Delhi and at 15 kms from Farukhnagar Road in Haryana.
- Bring your own binoculars, as the rented ones are limited in number.
- Visitors are not allowed to boat or swim in the lake.
- Carry your own cameras.
Entrance Ticket Details For Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary
- Children (2-12 years) - Rs.2 per person.
- Foreign nationals- Rs.40 per person.
- Camera fees: Still camera- Rs. 25, Video camera- Rs.500 and Professional camera- Rs. 5000.
- Parking fees: Two-wheelers- Rs.5 and Four-wheelers- Rs.10.
Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary Hours
- Entry before 09:00 hours will require special permission to be taken a day in advance.
- Not more than 10 persons will be allowed before 09:00 hours.
How to Reach Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary
- The nearest airport is the Indira Gandhi National Airport.
- The nearest railway station is Garhi Harsaru.
- The nearest metro station is Huda City Center Gurgaon.
- Aggarwal Sweets
- Dominos Pizza
- Kodar Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Gurgaon before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Gurgaon and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Gurgaon include Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
89.55% of people start their Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary