The third largest city on the second largest island of Japan, Hakodate in Hokkaido is a port city and the capital of Oshima Subprefecture. Overlooked by Mount Hakodate, this city is a famous tourist destination thanks to the presence of abundant natural beauty. Popularly known as the city of ‘Four Seasons’, Hakodate offers its visitors gorgeous sceneries, historical buildings, hot springs, delicious sea food and many events that keep happening throughout the year.
The city’s charm is seen through a perfect union of comforts of a city life and adventures of great outdoors. Serving some of the best sea-food and sushi in the country, Hakodate even hosts its very own food festival every year.
Each season brings with itself a different kind of a Hakodate. The four distinctive seasons offer visitors many beautiful sites along with a ton of activities to do.
A perfect family destination, Hakodate deserves a spot on your Japanese holiday.
Essential travel information and Hakodate tips for your visit
- Time zone : Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)
- Currency : Yen (¥)
- Electricity : Japan uses voltage of 100 volts, 50/60 Hz and the electrical plugs have two, non-polarized pins.
- Languages : Japanese (national language)
- Drives on : Left
- Internet : With a download speed of 2 Gbps and an upload speed of 1 Gbps, this city has some of the best internet services available. 4G networks and Wi-Fi are commonly available.
- Taxi : A common mode of transportation, you can just raise your hand to call for a taxi.
- Tipping : Individual tipping is not common in Hakodate, rather a 10 to 15 percent service charge is added to your bills
- Drinking water : The tap water in Hakodate is safe to drink. Fresh spring water, especially in Hokkaido is quite popular.
- Convenience Stores : Most of the convenience stores are open late till the night, or even 24 hours. These stores sell a wide range of products.
Hakodate Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Hakodate. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Hakodate trip planner.