Hakodate Foreign CemeteryCurrently Open
- Address: 23 Funamicho, Hakodate, Hokkaido 040-0055, Japan Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +81-138213323
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Cemetery, Family And Kids
In the mid 19th century, two sailors came to Hakodate and on their death, were buried at a spot that faces the gorgeous harbour. Over time, with international trade getting a boost, many people from all around the world (especially Russia, UK, Germany and USA) came here to settle down. With sailing routes being used extensively, many people who escaped the sea after their ships drowned, came to Hakodate too.
In 1870, the jurisdiction of Hakodate agreed to establish a foreign cemetery to bury these people and today the Hakodate Foreign General Cemetery has 41 tombstones and 200 tombs. Lining this cemetery there is a Russian Cemetery, a Protestant Cemetery and Chinese Cemetery nearby. The Grave of Tenka No Gogaiya Okia with its bright red colour stands out from the other tombstones and is a popular landmark for locals.
Placed on a small hill the Hakodate Foreign General Cemetery overlooks the harbour of the city and even though rumours of hauntings are not new to the place, a visit here is tranquil and offers quiet a scenic view.
How to Reach Hakodate Foreign Cemetery
- Bus stop: Funamicho Bus Stop Funami cho (bus)
- Light Rail stop: Omachi Station Omachi Station (1.3 kilometers away)
- By taking a Street Car.
- By renting a Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Hakodate before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hakodate and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Hakodate Foreign Cemetery Address: 23 Funamicho, Hakodate, Hokkaido 040-0055, Japan
- Hakodate Foreign Cemetery Contact Number: +81-138213323
- Hakodate Foreign Cemetery Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Hakodate Foreign Cemetery(preferred time): 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Time required to visit Hakodate Foreign Cemetery: 00:30 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!