Hakodate Orthodox Church241 Votes Currently Open
- Address: 3-13 Motomachi, 元町 Hakodate-shi, Hokkaidō 040-0054, Japan Map
- Timings: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm Details
- Phone: +81-138237387
- Time Required: 00:45 Mins
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
Built in 1916, the Hakodate Orthodox Church’s dreamy white and turquoise building pulls you even from a distance. The church is the oldest Russian Orthodox church in Japan and is currently listed in the most important cultural buildings in the city.
Start from the gorgeous Russian Byzantine styled exterior and the beautiful domes (6 to be precise) that have individual crosses on them. The bell tower has its own charm- so much so that the locals call the church ‘Gan Gan Dera’ (Ding dong church) with love and you can hear it on weekends during prayers. The sound of this bell is listed in “Japan’s top 100 beautiful sounds”!
The interior of the church welcomes you with breath-taking frescoes at the main altar, beautiful chandeliers that add a golden hue to the whole place and tranquillity that completes the ambience. Don’t miss out on the mass held here- it’s a treat to see the historic church especially during prayer times.
Entrance Ticket Details For Hakodate Orthodox Church
- Admission fee: Yen 200 per person.
Hakodate Orthodox Church Hours
- On December 24: citizen Christmas is held form 600 pm to 7.00 pm.
- Late Main Lord: Saturday from 5.00 pm
For other timings, please visit the official website.
How to Reach Hakodate Orthodox Church
- Bus stop: Nishikokomae Bus Stop (Nishi high school front) (bus)
- Light Rail stop: Suehirocho Station (Suehirocho Station)
- By taking a Street Car.
- By renting a Bike.
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Hakodate before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hakodate and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Hakodate Orthodox Church Address: 3-13 Motomachi, 元町 Hakodate-shi, Hokkaidō 040-0054, Japan
- Hakodate Orthodox Church Contact Number: +81-138237387
- Hakodate Orthodox Church Timing: 10:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Best time to visit Hakodate Orthodox Church(preferred time): 10:30 am - 04:15 pm
- Time required to visit Hakodate Orthodox Church: 00:45 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
50.42% of people who visit Hakodate include Hakodate Orthodox Church in their plan
11 AM - 12 PM
33.33% of people start their Hakodate Orthodox Church visit around 11 AM - 12 PM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Hakodate Orthodox Church
85.29% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Hakodate Orthodox Church
People normally club together Catholic Motomachi Church and Otani Hongan-ji Hakodate Betsu-in while planning their visit to Hakodate Orthodox Church.