Hakodatemaru1 Vote Currently Open
- Address: 14-13 Omachi, Hakodate 040-0052, Hokkaido, Japan Map
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Phone: +81-138213323
- Time Required: 00:30 Mins
- Tags: Landmark, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Built in 1857, the Hakodate Maru is the first western ship in Japan. On the request of Hori Kitahi- the magistrate of Hakodate at that time, this ship was constructed by Mr. Toyohji.
Mr. Toyohji worked under a fine craftsman on various projects and after his mentor was no more, he was forced to become a carpenter for a Buddhist shrine. In 1857, the magistrate came with this unique proposal to make a ship with western design and technology and soon, the ship was built that had a speed of 8 knots, used a triple expansion engine and a single shaft. The ship weighs 56 tonnes and has two masts with a length of 30 meters each. After its service, it was restored in the 1980s and today, it is one of the finest historic pieces of the city. Come here to see the rare ship in its impeccable shape and don’t forget to take a few photos when you visit!
How to Reach Hakodatemaru
- By Bus: Yayoimachi Bus Stop Yayoi Town (bus)
- By Light Rail: Omachi Station
- By taking a Street Car.
- By renting a Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Hakodate before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hakodate and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Hakodatemaru Address: 14-13 Omachi, Hakodate 040-0052, Hokkaido, Japan
- Hakodatemaru Contact Number: +81-138213323
- Hakodatemaru Timing: 24-hrs
- Best time to visit Hakodatemaru(preferred time): 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Time required to visit Hakodatemaru: 00:30 Mins
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
0.21% of people who visit Hakodate include Hakodatemaru in their plan
95% of people start their Hakodatemaru visit around 09 AM
People usually take around 30 Minutes to see Hakodatemaru
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Hakodatemaru
People normally also visit Motomachi while planning their trip to Hakodatemaru.