Mt. Esan190 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Misakicho Hakodate, Hokkaido 041-0521 Japan
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 02:00 Hrs
- Tags: Family And Kids, Volcano
Located 50 kilometres east of Hakodate city, Mt. Esan is an active volcano that stands at a height of 618 meters above mean seal level. The short hike takes you through panoramic views of the Aomori prefecture, the Mizunashi Kaihin hot spring, the skyline of Hakodate and the Tsugaru strait. The mount has more than 600 species of alpine tress and plants and during autumn, a visit here is a whole different experience altogether. You can find small pit stops that offer stunning views of the mountains as well.
Start your trek at the Esan Hot Spring located at the foothills of the Mt. Esan that is popular for its wine-red water. The climb gets you in close encounters with active fissures of the volcano that emit gasses (do watch out for them!). The Todohokke Village Lighthouse Family Museum is located on its northern side and is a loved spot for star gazing while the sheer thrill of trekking around an active volcano- makes a trip here well worth the time! Make the most of your visit by taking photos from one of the many viewpoints.
Mt. Esan Travel Tips
- As this is an active volcano, try to hike during clear weather so you can see which direction the volcanic gases are blowing. If the wind is coming from the east, then the fumes will blow directly over the hiking path and leave you gasping for breath.
- Carry food and bottled water with yourself.
- Wear study shoes and comfortable clothes.
- It takes about an hour to reach the mountain.
How to Reach Mt. Esan
- Bus stop : Esanmisaki Bus Stop ( a 150 meter hike away)
- By taking a Street Car.
- By renting a Bike.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Hakodate before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hakodate and book an accommodation of your choice.
36.68% of people who visit Hakodate include Mt. Esan in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
46.15% of people start their Mt. Esan visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Mt. Esan
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Mt. Esan