Haleakala Crater offers a breath taking view that exists nowhere in the world. Situated in Maui, Haleakala crater is one of the most popular attractions of the upcountry. It is known for its stunning sunrises, panoramic landscapes and a wide range of flora and fauna. Haleakala crater is not just a result of a volcanic eruption but it was formed over the years as a result of an entire volcanic mountain top. Over the period smaller lava flows back, building up a floor called Haleakala Crater. Over the last 1000 years there have been several eruptions. It is said that eruptions have not died down, it might take place again. The crater holds a wild hiking trail and is a paradise for all the hikers. One can also take a horseback ride or downhill bike tours, which are paid services, made available by various Maui travel companies. The highlights of the crater are :
- Sun set
- Night sky
- Birds like Nene
- Haleakala Silversword
- Endangered Species
Haleakala Crater Travel Tips
- No food or gas facilities are available in the nearby area.
- The air is thin and very cold. A jacket is a must have.
- Sunscreen , water required.
- Do not hike if you are less fit.
- Use a GPS navigation.
- Do not drive on your own if you are not confident on your driving.
Entrance Ticket Details For Haleakala Crater
- USD 8 per person without any transport (valid for 3 days)
- USD 15 for private non-commercial vehicle (valid for 3 days)
- USD 10 for non-commercial motorcycle (valid for 3 days)
- Commercial vehicles/ organizations are charged separately.
Haleakala Crater Hours
- Except for some special closures it is open on all days.
How to Reach Haleakala Crater
- Drive by a car or take a tour package.
You can take two routes by car.
- From Kahului via Route 37
- Start from Maui , take the Haleakala Highway
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Haleakala National Park before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Haleakala National Park and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Haleakala National Park include Haleakala Crater in their plan
04 AM - 05 AM
75.95% of people start their Haleakala Crater visit around 04 AM - 05 AM
People usually take around 2 Hrs to see Haleakala Crater
53.62% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Haleakala Crater