Sliding Sands TrailCurrently Open
- Address: Sliding Sands Trail, Hawaii 96790, USA, Haleakala National Park, United States
- Timings: 24-hrs Details
- Time Required: 06:00 Hrs
- Tags: Outdoors, Hiking Trail, Nature
Sliding Sands Trail located inside Haleakala National Park is one of the best and the most strenuous hiking experienceof the Haleakala summit area. This trail descends 2,800 feet in the first 4 miles to the valley floor. The Keoneheehee (Sliding Sands) starting at the bulletin board by the entrance to the Haleakala Visitor Center parking lot gives a good half-day hike, combined with first 2.5 miles of the trail to the KaLu'u o kaO'o cinder cone and then turning around and taking the trail back out. This gives an overall round trip of a 5-mile trek, and given the elevation, it'll feel like it's longer. The final climb back up Haleakala's Crater Rim will also be more than enough hike for one day. Reaching the Crater by sunset or sunrise will be add on to the exhilarating view. Total elevation gain/loss between the trail head and the cinder cone is approximately 1,400ft. which is the reason for making the hike strenuous but also worth doing.
- View from above
- Endangered Species
Sliding Sands Trail Travel Tips
- No food or gas facilities are available in the nearby area.
- The air is thin and very cold. A jacket is a must have.
- A decent meal and good night's rest the day before.
- Sun screen, water required.
- Hiking pole of some sort as it will make the climb back out of the crater much easier.
Sliding Sands Trail Hours
- Except for some special closures it is open on all days.
How to Reach Sliding Sands Trail
Drive by a car or take a tour package.
You can take two routes by car.
- From Kahului via Route 37
- Start from Maui , take the Haleakala Highway
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Haleakala National Park before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Haleakala National Park and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Haleakala National Park include Sliding Sands Trail in their plan
40% of people start their Sliding Sands Trail visit around 08 AM
People usually take around 6 Hrs to see Sliding Sands Trail
60% of people prefer walking in order to reach Sliding Sands Trail