Visit Haleakala National Park - Best of Haleakala National Park
Amidst the concrete jungles in which we live in today, there are very few places left that still stand so close to nature. The Haleakala National Park in Hawaii is a wild landscape that offers an untainted communion with nature and its flora and fauna.
Covering a dramatic terrain that spans across sea to mountains, from the region of volcanoes to that of the tropical one, this place seems to represent all the forms of nature and landscapes within its boundaries. This national park was established in 1916 and covers a spectacular 33,222 acres of land. As you enter inside this park, you will have great opportunities for hiking, trails and camping.
This park includes that volcanic crater, Kipahulu Valley, and the pools of the Ohe'o Gulch area on the eastern slope. The centre of attraction is ofcourse the dormant shield volcano which is also the world’s largest volcanic craters. The last time it erupted was in 1790 and the remains of the lava can be seen in the form of reddish cinder cones that are scattered across the floor, together with black lava beds. The name Haleakala itself means the “House of the Sun” and this is what this park is actually home to.
The other point of interest is the summit which is accessible via a paved road. Then there is a Kipahulu Valley that is home to emerald rainforests, waterfalls, and lava. With such a vast terrain and activities to do in Haleakala National Park this place has become one of the central attractions of Hawaii. Don’t forget to stargaze and watch sunrise here.
Below you shall find some of the practical information for this park:
- General Car Pass: $10. Valid for 3 days.
- Tri-Parks Annual Pass: $25. Valid for 12 months from issue.
- Individual Entry: $5. Valid for 3 days. Admits one individual with no car - usually used for bicyclists, hikers, and motorcycles.
- Interagency Annual Pass: $80. Valid for 12 months from issue.
Haleakala National Park Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Haleakala National Park tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC-10:00 hours. Daylight Saving Time (DST) changes do not necessarily occur on the same date every year.
- Currency: Currency used in Hawaii is US dollar.
- Electricity: Voltage: 120 V, Frequency: 60 Hz, Power sockets: type A / B
- Languages: Language spoken in Hawaii is English.
- The Summit and KÃ„Â«pahulu Districts are remote. An ambulance can take up to 45 minutes to arrive at either district from the nearest town. People with respiratory or other medical conditions should also be aware that the summit of HaleakalÃ„ is at 10,000 ft.
- In the Kipahulu Area there is no drinking water available. Visitors should bring mosquito repellent. Dangerous flash floods do occur; check at the visitor center before entering the water and heed all posted warnings.
- Pregnant women, young children, and those with respiratory or heart conditions should consult their doctors prior to travelling to high elevations.
Are you looking for a Haleakala National Park travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Haleakala National Park Tourist Information
Haleakala National Park Itineraries
141 Views10 Days 9 NightsTrip to Kailua-kona, Wailea-makena, Kihei, KapaluaBy: Guest UserCity: Kailua-kona, Volcano, Haleakalā National Park, Kapalua, Wailea-makena, Kihei
134 Views8 Days 7 NightsTrip to Honolulu, Kailua-kona, Wailea-makena, VolcBy: Guest UserCity: Maui, Wailea-makena, Haleakalā National Park, Honolulu, Volcano, Kailua-kona
527 Views38 Days 37 NightsTrip to Singapore, San Francisco, Perth, Amritsar,By: Guest UserCity: Amritsar, Zhangjiajie, Singapore, Wellington, Perth, Maui, San Francisco, Vancouver
Popular Hotels in Haleakala National ParkView all Hotels in Haleakala National Park
- Maui Tourism
- Wailea-makena Tourism
- Kihei Tourism
- Lahaina Tourism
- Kapalua Tourism
- Kailua-kona Tourism
- Hilo Tourism
- Volcano Road Tourism
- Volcano Tourism
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Tourism
- Honolulu Tourism
- Barbers Point Housing Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Los Angeles Tourism
- New York City Tourism
- Chicago Tourism
- Las Vegas Tourism
- San Francisco Tourism
- Seattle Tourism
- San Jose Tourism
- Saint Louis Tourism
Facts and Stats for Haleakala National Park*
Living in Haleakala National Park - Quality of Life
Cost of Living Index 88.64 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 100 (Very High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 11.05 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 81.94 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Haleakala National Park
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Haleakala National Park
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.13 USD
International Movie per seat 12 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 32.5 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 93.33 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 40 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.