How to Reach Halifax
The Easiest Way to Reach Halifax
- By Air: The main airport that services the city is Halifax Robert L. Stanfield International Airport that is located 35km north of Halifax. The airport caters to directflights to Halifax from Toronto, Montreal, New York, Chicago, Ottawa, Calgary, Boston, Philadelphia, London, Frankfurt, Reykjavik and a few other national and international holiday destinations.
- By Land: One can drive to Halifax form either the US or from within Canada by passing through New Brunswick and crossing into Nova Scotia near Amherst. From there you need to cover a distance of 215km/134 miles (2½- to 3 hours) to Halifax. Montreal is about 1,250km/777 miles and Boston is 1,120km/700 miles from Halifax by road. Alternatively Maritime Bus runs long distance coach services within the Maritime region with connections further on to Quebec.
- By Rail: VIA Rail operates an overnight train to Halifax three times a week from Montreal, with stops at Moncton and New Brunswick.
- By Sea: Several international cruises to Halifax are available and the harbor is also a popular stopover for cruise ships headed to other destinations.
- By Car/Taxi: Car rentals are easily available in the city and the airport, with offices of most major national companies. However, it is considerably cheaper to hire a car in the city than at the airport. Also it is easy to travel by car outside of Halifax, as most other places in Nova Scotia are within half a days driving distance, just pick up a map of Halifax and navigate through the city with ease.Taxi services are also available easily in Halifax and can be booked through your hotel or via phone.
- By Bus: Metro Transit operates the local bus service system, which connects most of the city. A free bus called “Fred” loops throughout downtown Halifax in the summer every 30 minutes.
- By Ferry: Metro Transit also runs a ferry to Dartmouth from Halifax waterfront, it is a beautiful and scenic ride.
- By Bike:There are several bike rental companies in the city and it is a fun way to get around the city. Bikers are also allowed on all roads including motorways.
Modes of Transportation in Halifax
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Halifax. The most preferred mode of transport in Halifax is Car.
Average distance: 14.04 km Average time: 33.56 min
Car 47.37%Driving 27.78 min Walking 0.89 min Overall average time for 21.89 kms 28.67 min
Bus/Trolleybus 21.05%Bus 26.5 min Waiting 9.75 min Walking 4.25 min Other 3.75 min Overall average time for 8.33 kms 44.25 min
Walking 26.32%Walking 27.8 min Driving 4 min Waiting 1 min Bus 1 min Overall average time for 4.5 kms 33.8 min
- Other Cities on Triphobo
- How To Reach Winnipeg
- How To Reach Calgary
- Cities Near Halifax
- How To Reach Montreal
- How To Reach Toronto
- How To Reach Vancouver
- How To Reach Ottawa
- How To Reach Niagara Falls
- How To Reach Windsor
- How To Reach Sault Ste. Marie
- How To Reach Whistler
- How To Reach Victoria
- How To Reach Banff