Monkey TempleCurrently Open [Closes at 09:00 pm]
- Address: Anjaneyadri Hills, Anegondi, Hampi, Karnataka, India
- Timings: 06:00 am - 09:00 pm Details
- Ticket Price: Free
- Time Required: 02:30 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Temple, River, Historical Site, Family And Kids, Hill
Monkey Temple - Review
The hill top Hanuman Temple is said to be the birthplace of Lord Hanumana. This is located in the center of the Anegondi area. The hill is also known as Anjaneyadri, which means the Hanuman Hill as Hanuman is also called Anjaneya being the son of Anjana. On the top of the hill is the Monkey temple dedicated to the monkey God, Hanumana.
The temple is prominently visible from quite a distance due to its bright whitewash and the zig-zagging steps leading to it along the hill way. The temple is of great importance for the devotees of Lord Rama and the best thing about this temple is that the Ramayana recited inside the temple is in Hindi which is quite a contradiction from the local Kannada language. The priest is an old man who has a fantastic talent of story-telling.
The temple is usually not crowded except for a increased number of devotees on special days. Thus, you can just go and sit beside the idol and listen to the tales there and enjoy the calmness and serenity of the place. It is completely blissful.
The temple door is always kept closed due to the regular visitors there, the monkeys to be precise. The view from the hill top is beautiful with the green paddy fields and coconut tree plantations. All over the place you will see rocky terrains and one side flow the mighty Tungabhadra River. The surrounding landscape is just a feast to the eyes.
Monkey Temple Information
- Photography is not allowed inside the temple.
- Carry your own food and water as there are no facilities on your climb.
- Make sure about how much you can trek as the climb is quite high.
- Beware of the monkeys as they try to snatch your bags for food. Do not disturb them as they can become aggressive. Leave nothing except your footwear outside the temple as they do not touch footwear.
How To reach Monkey Temple by Public Transport
- The nearest airport is the Bellary Airport.
- The nearest railway station is Hospet.
Restaurants Near Monkey Temple
- Mango Tree Restaurant
- Laughing Buddha
- Shesh Besh Restaurant
- Golden paradise
- Gouthami Restaurant
- All Tribes Cafe
- Gopi Rooftop Restaurant
- The Goan Corner
- Geetha Riverview Restaurant
- Shiv Moon Restaurant
- Mayura Bhuvaneshwari
- Prinsey Restaurant
- Sri Krishna Hotel
- Savaji Restaurant
- Karavari Cafe Restaurant
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Hampi before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hampi and book an accommodation of your choice.
Things to Know Before Visiting Monkey Temple
95% of people who visit Hampi include Monkey Temple in their plan
1 PM - 2 PM
36.79% of people start their Monkey Temple visit around 1 PM - 2 PM
2 Hrs 30 Minutes
People usually take around 2 Hrs 30 Minutes to see Monkey Temple
93.78% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Monkey Temple
Monkey Temple Map
Monkey Temple Trips
Monkey Temple, Hampi Reviews
All QuestionsMonkey temple
- Harvest Festival
- Lambdins Field
- Faith Assembly Church
- La Rue Swamp Nature Preserve
- Ware-Wolf Lake Heliport
- Inspiration Point
- Muddy River Shooting Preserves
- Arrowhead Hunting Club
- Galilee Church
- Wolf Lake Pentecostal Church
- Larue-Pine Hills National Natural Landmark
- Church Of The Living God
- San Luis Lake
- San Luis Creek
- Parsonage United Methodist