How to Reach Hannover - The Easiest Way to Reach Hannover
By Air: Hannover Airport
- Serves many major European Airlines.
- The S-Bahn train runs from the airport to the central station every 30 minutes (EUR 3; 17 minutes).
- A taxi from the airport to the city centre takes 15 minutes/EUR 20.
By Train: Central Station Hauptbahnhof
- There are many direct trains multiple times a day to Netherlands, Switzerland, France, and Austria.
- The InterCity Express (ICE) connects Hannover to Frankfurt, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Munich, Cologne, and Berlin, but this is expensive.
- Regional trains are much cheaper.
By Road: Motorways A2 and A7 lead to Hannover.
The Central Bus Station, close to the Hauptbahnhof offers quick rides to most German cities and most major European cities, going up to Bosnia and Croatia.
If you get the Hannover Card, your transport is free of course, but if you don’t, then it can be a little confusing. Right off the bat, leave your car at the carpark; once you get the hang of it, the public transport is an absolute dream. Hannover is divided into multiple zones, and tickets are brought differently for each zone (unless you’re buying a combined ticket). Tickets are brought at machines; Cards are monthly subsciptions. Within the main city, you usually would not need more than a 1-zone ticket. Ticket prices within the city are as follows:
- Day Ticket: €4.90 (1 zone), €6.20, (2 zones), €7.70 (3 zones)
- Group Day Ticket (up to 5 persons): €9.40 (1 zone), €11.90 (2 zones), €14.60 (3 zones)
- Single-trip Ticket: €2.50 (1 zone), €3.20 (2 zone), €4.00 (3 zone)
- Short-trip Ticket (up to 3 stops for tram and 5 stops for bus): €1.50
- Reduced Ticket (children 6-14y, big dogs): €1.30 (all zone)
- Day Ticket Child (6-14 yrs): €2.60 (all zones)
- Special Price For 6 Single-trip Tickets (SammelTicket): €14.00 (1 zone), €17.50 (2 zones)
Most of Hannover’s main areas are can be walked or cycled, so that’s not a problem.
Are you looking for a Hannover travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Modes of Transportation in Hannover
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Hannover. The most preferred mode of transport in Hannover is Train/Metro.
Average distance: 12.05 km Average time: 31.36 min
Train/Metro 27.27%Train 21.33 min Walking 12.33 min Bus 10 min Waiting 5.33 min Bike 2.33 min Overall average time for 24 kms 51.33 min
Car 18.18%Driving 20.5 min Overall average time for 8.75 kms 20.5 min
Walking 9.09%Walking 10 min Bike 5 min Overall average time for 2 kms 15 min
Bike 18.18%Bike 10 min Overall average time for 3 kms 10 min
Tram/Streetcar 18.18%Tram 22.5 min Waiting 2.5 min Walking 2.5 min Overall average time for 5 kms 27.5 min
Bus/Trolleybus 9.09%Bus 45 min Waiting 10 min Walking 5 min Overall average time for 25 kms 60 min
How to Reach Hannover from Nearby Cities
|Oldenburg to Hannover||32.67 km||32 mins|
|Bremen to Hannover||34.33 km||34 mins|
|Nordenham to Hannover||35.69 km||35 mins|
|Osnabrück to Hannover||101.25 km||1 hour 41 mins|
|Kiel to Hannover||167.93 km||2 hours 47 mins|
|Hamburg to Hannover||170.32 km||2 hours 50 mins|
|Laatzen to Hannover||173.07 km||2 hours 53 mins|
|Sarstedt to Hannover||181.67 km||3 hours 1 mins|
|Dortmund to Hannover||215.97 km||3 hours 35 mins|
|Göttingen to Hannover||237.91 km||3 hours 57 mins|