While the upper half of Africa is visited for a glimpse of the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx, the lower half of the continent is monopolized by the safari enthusiasts. The other nations that fall in between are just left to languish, hardly receiving any attention. While your gut might tell you to rush off to the Masai Mara or Cairo, hold your horses and head to Zimbabwe instead.
The capital city, Harare, is grossly underrated and deemed unsafe and unstable; the city in reality is quite laid back and not all that life threatening. Sure you might be required a little more caution than usually prescribed, but it’s all going to be worth it when you sit back and go over the memories and experiences you’d have accumulated.
Harare Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Harare tips for your visit
- Check the local political and economic scene of the country before you plan your trip. Even though Zimbabwe doesn’t see as much conflict as the rest of the African regions, the stability is quite volatile.
- Get vaccinated well in advance. Chances are you might be required to be vaccinated against yellow fever, so check what immunizations are needed before you travel.
- Try not to step out after hours since there are chances that you can get mugged.
- Even while driving around at night, wound up your windows tightly and no matter who knocks on your window, don’t pay any attention and keep all your valuables well hidden. Avoid stopping at traffic signals.
- Don’t cheap out on the tip. Many of the servers depend on your tip to get by.