How to Reach Harare
If you’re an international traveler, your best bet is to fly directly into Harare.
- By Air: Harare being the capital city is well connected by most of the major airlines. From the airport, you’ll have to hire a cab to your hotel at an exorbitant pre-determined rate. Don’t bother haggling with them.
- By Train: There are trains that run from Bulawayo and Mutare that run to Harare on a daily basis. There aren’t any international trains that run to the country due to the country’s severe economic troubles.
- By Bus: There are bus services from Johannesburg that can take almost an entire day to reach the capital city. If you’re an international traveler, you might need visas of both countries, so make preparations accordingly.
- By Car: You could also drive to Harare from Johannesburg as the roads are quite easily accessible. However, this option is not advised due to unpredictable turns and landscape of the roads.
If you’re on a self-guided tour of Harare, there are a variety of options for you to get around the city.You can try many things to do in Harare.
- By Car: If you’re comfortable driving around and have a valid driver’s license, you could rent a car and drive around the city. Fuel shortage is no longer a problem since the country has opted for dollarization. A word of caution: be prepared for road blocks wherein the police might grill you about the car and your license in an attempt to seek a bribe. Save yourself some time and hand over a couple of bucks to the police.
- By Taxi: The other alternative is hailing a taxi; the taxis here can fit 8 people so don’t be surprised. Make sure you negotiate the price before you sit in the cab. You could also hire a cab for around USD $2 as long as you don’t stay within the city limits and don’t venture into the suburbs.
- By Bus: Minibuses are a convenient mode of local transport. The fare can come to some USD $1; ask the hotel reception for the nearest terminal to your stops for the day.
Know about the preferred mode of transport, average time spent and average distance traveled for commute in Harare. The most preferred mode of transport in Harare is Car.
Average distance: 12.67 km Average time: 24.17 min
Car 83.33%Driving 24 min Overall average time for 12.4 kms 24 min
Bus/Trolleybus 16.67%Bus 18 min Waiting 7 min Overall average time for 14 kms 25 min