Harrisburg is the capital of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, United States and the 15th largest city in Commonwealth. Lying on the banks of the Susquehanna River, this capital city played a significant role in the American Civil War, the Industrial Revolution, and the Westward Migration. Being one of the most industrialized cities in the Northeastern United States, Harrisburg is home to many manufacturing, government, food services, and agriculture-based industries. The city also serves as the county seat of Dauphin County along with being the center of commercial sports in South Central Pennsylvania.
The city also has a heavy dose of history, culture, and heritage that is well appreciated by the numerous tourists who visit the city every year. With an abundance of local beverages, old houses, repurposed buildings, and artistic culture, the city is well worth a visit. Playing a notable role in shaping American history, the city serves as a vibrant hub for activities- both historical and entertainment based. Cruises, arcades, outdoor activities, family fun and a wealth of cultural heritage is what awaits you at Harrisburg.
Often overlooked amidst neighbors like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, the city of Harrisburg is a historical gem and cultural hub one will cherish visiting. The combination of authentic local delicacies and lifestyle with the bubbling outdoor ambiance and the laid-back atmosphere makes for a fun visit to the city. Taste the special brews at the Appalachian Brewing Company and Zeroday Brewing Company, soak in the serenity of nature at the Wildwood Park and The Boyd Big Tree Conservation Area, treat the book lover in you at the Midtown Scholar, have the mouthwatering delicacies at the Midstate Distillery, Bollywood Bar, Alvarado Bread and Pastry Shop or Pho Kim’s, or simply dig out history at the fascinating Simon Cameron Museum, Capitol Building and Windshield Tour. This city is sure to give you an experience you will forever cherish, so plan your trip, pack your bags and get going!
Essential travel information and Harrisburg tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time (UTC/GMT -5)
- Currency: United States Dollar (USD)
- Electricity: Harrisburg uses 120 Volts, 60 Hz alternating current as the power source. Plug sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type A) and grounded 3 pin connections (Type B)
- Internet: Internet in the form of Wi-Fi, 3G, and 4G is available at most of the hotels, restaurants, and points of interest.
- Languages: English is the primary language in Harrisburg
- Security: 911 is for fire, medical emergency, accident, crime and person in trouble.
- Tipping: Although not customary, Tipping is appreciated in the city.
- Stay away from areas like North 13th Street and general Allison Hill Area during the night as the city’s crime rate is a lot higher than the national average.
Harrisburg Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Harrisburg. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Harrisburg trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Harrisburg