Pennsylvania State Capitol Complex49 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 501 N 3rd St, Harrisburg, PA 17120, USA, United States
- Timings: 07:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8008687672
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Family And Kids, Architecture , Heritage Building
Designed by Joseph Miller Huston in the early 20th century, the Pennsylvania State Capitol Complex has a prominent Beaux Arts influence with touches of Renaissance Revival architecture. The building was completed in 1906 and is the third state building to be built in the city. The complex houses the legislative chambers that includes the Senate, the House of Representatives, the city’s chambers of the Supreme and Superior courts of Pennsylvania and the offices of the Governor and the Lieutenant Governor.
The government seat was moved to Harrisburg in 1812 before which it was located in Philadelphia. The building is 520 feet tall and 254 feet in wide. The side wings that are 212 feet wide along with the central dome that has a beautiful gilded brass Commonwealth statue, complete the structure of the complex. The dome itself is designed to look like the dome of the St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. Explore the complex to see the unique design elements like the doors with its keyhole that is covered by a Bust of Joseph Miller Huston, the plush interiors of the capitola rotunda, the magnificent paintings and designs seen in the chamber of the House of Representatives.
Other highlights include:
- The Senate Chamber whish is the second largest chamber in the complex and is designed in French Renaissance style. The murals painted by Violet Oakley and the 10 stained-glass windows that are the crown jewels of the place.
- The House Chamber with its classic Italian Renaissance design that includes the 14 circular stained –glass windows designed by William B. Van Ingen and five stunning murals painted by Abbey.
The tour of the complex takes you through not just the architecture of the place, but its history, evolution and importance in today’s times.
Pennsylvania State Capitol Complex Travel Tips
- You cannot carry weapons of any kinds in the complex.
- Before taking the tour, notify the guide/security of any medical issues and the need of related medical devices like a pacemaker etc.
Entrance Ticket Details For Pennsylvania State Capitol Complex
- You can take a walk around anytime.
- Tour are available for Free.
Pennsylvania State Capitol Complex Hours
- Capitol Rotunda - Main Entrance: 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
- East Wing Rotunda - Atrium Level (ADA Accessible): 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
- North Office Building (North Street): 7:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Irvis Office Building (South Drive): 7:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Ryan Building - Main Entrance: 7:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Guided Tours: Every 30 minutes from Monday to Friday: 8.30 am to 4.00 pmWeekends and holidays: at 9.00 am, 11.00 am, 1.00 pm and 3.00 pm
- State museum: open 10 Monday and 10 Tuesday in spring. For precise hours, visit official website or call up the place.
How to Reach Pennsylvania State Capitol Complex
- By Bus: Capitol Building (Harrisburg)
- By Taxi
- By renting a bicycle/ car.
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Harrisburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Harrisburg and book an accommodation of your choice.