National Civil War Museum126 Votes Currently Open
- Address: One Lincoln Circle at Reservoir Park, Harrisburg, PA 17103, United States Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 08:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-7172601861
- Ticket Price: 12 USD
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: History Museums, War Memorial, Family And Kids
The National civil war museum works in association with the Smithsonian Institution and is the only museum in the world that showcases the entire history of the American Civil War that began in 1861 and ended in 1865. The museum was founded by Harrisburg’s former Mayor Steve Reed who was interested in the history of the Civil War. With a collection of 24,000 photographs, manuscripts, documents and historic artefacts, today, the museum has one of the most detailed collections about the war. The museum has personal items owned by famous personalities who played an important role in the history of America, exhibits of the beginning of the war along with exhibits that explain the training of the Army and Navy, the weapons and tools used and the role of Women in the war.
Other than the American Civil War, the museum also has a number of collections that cover the history of America from 1850 to 1876.
Highlights of the museum includes:
- A collection of weapons, tools and arms used in the war.
- The Civil War music exhibit that has a collection of popular music and musical instruments that were used during the war.
- American Slavery exhibit that portrays the history of slavery in America from 1850 to 1860
- The exhibit of the First Shots in 1861 that relives the beginning of the war in 1861 at Fort Sumter
- The exhibit dedicated to Abraham Lincoln and the veterans who lost their lives during the war
- The pen that was used by Governor Wise to sign John Brown’s death warrant
- A portable writing kit owned by General Winfield Scott.
- Lead bullets with teeth marks that were given to the patients during surgeries.
- The key to Libby Prison.
- Lee’s hat cord and Bible used for 20 years before he surrendered.
- Battle maps
The museum is spread across 7 galleries and a theatre and includes a gift shop and a memorial “Walk of Valor” that is dedicated to the veterans of the Civil War.
Entrance Ticket Details For National Civil War Museum
- Adult: $12
- Seniors: $11
- Students: $10
- Family Pass: $44 (Includes 2 adults & up to 3 students; immediate family members only)
National Civil War Museum Hours
- Thanksgiving Eve hours: 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
How to Reach National Civil War Museum
- By Bus: Capital Area Transit (3.22 kiloemeters)
- By Taxi
- By renting a bicycle/ car.
- On foot
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Harrisburg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Harrisburg and book an accommodation of your choice.
- National Civil War Museum Address: One Lincoln Circle at Reservoir Park, Harrisburg, PA 17103, United States
- National Civil War Museum Contact Number: +1-7172601861
- National Civil War Museum Timing: 09:00 am - 08:00 pm
- National Civil War Museum Price: 12 USD
- Best time to visit National Civil War Museum(preferred time): 10:30 am - 04:00 pm
- Time required to visit National Civil War Museum: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!