Hartford is the capital of the state of Connecticut. The major tourist spots in Hartford are located in the old Wethersfield area and the main town area. The former is home to pre-Civil War structures like the houses of famous residents namely Isaac Stevens and Joseph Webb. Main town Hartford has the Connecticut Science Center and the government buildings of the state. You will also see the house in Nook Farm where Mark Twain wrote a number of his books. Hartford is also home to offices of several insurance companies. Throughout the year, on public occasions and holidays, downtown Hartford organises parades of all kinds as a part of the celebrations. Visit Hartford for a quick retreat away from daily routines.
Essential travel information and Hartford tips for your visit
- Hartford Time Zone: Eastern Time Zone (UTC-05:00)
- Currency: United States Dollar
- Electricity: US uses 110 Volts, 60 Hz alternating current as power. Plug sockets have ungrounded 2 pin connections (Type A) and grounded 3 pin connections (Type B)
- Languages: Majority of the people in United States speak English.
- Internet: 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi connections are available in almost every hotel in the city. The city also has public Wi-Fi in some areas.
- Security: Police: 911
- Ambulance: 911
- Tipping in America is a thanking gesture. Tipping is not mandatory, however if your wish to tip, one can tip at least 15% at a restaurant, $2 per bag to porters at hotels and $3-5 for valet services.
- Copy documents such as credit cards, itineraries, emergency contact information and important phone numbers. Leave copies of documents with a reliable person.
- Familiarize yourself with local traffic laws and customs.
- Pickpockets are often attracted to crowded places. Be aware of someone who bumps, shoves or gets too close.
- Do not leave any articles such as phones, purses and wallets unattended.
- Don’t honk your horn. It’s uncivil and isn’t done. It’s also illegal, except in emergencies.
- Select sightseeing companies and guides carefully. Make sure they are legitimate. Check with your hotel staff for recommendations.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Hartford
Crazy Dash Walking Adventure - Hartford, CTNew on TripHobo
Save 21%Hartford Puzzling AdventureNew on TripHobo
Save 5%Holly Jolly Hunt - Holiday Scavenger Hunt in Hartford, CTNew on TripHobo