Heidelberg Castle1840 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Schlosshof 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
- Timings: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: +49-6221658880
- Ticket Price: 6 EUR
- Time Required: 03:00 Hrs
- Tags: Landmark, Ancient Ruin, Castle, Historical Site, Family And Kids
A prime landmark, the castle ruins are one of the most important Renaissance structures of Heidelberg. The initial structure was raised as early as 1214 AD and had been destroyed several times by lightning since then. The first proper fortification was done by Rupert III when he became the king of Germany in 1401. But it was not until the 19th Century that Castle gained popularity. Count Graimberg used the castle as a subject for his pictures and slowly it began featuring as postcards. It may interest you to know that celebrated American author Mark Twain speaks of the Heidelberg Castle in his travel book A Tramp Abroad.
The palace highlights include:
- The Ottheinrich building: Admire the fantastic sculptures, the elaborate carvings and the living quarters of German Royalty.
- Apothecary Museum, located on the lowest floor of the Ottheinrich building.
- The Barrel building or better known as the Fassbau. The giant barrel kept in the large hall, used in old days for celebrations.
- Figurines on the Friedrich building: A series of fantastic stone figurines created by master sculptor Sebastian Götz.
- The Palace Garden, also famously known as Hortus Palatinus.
Heidelberg Castle Travel Tips
- Exhibitions can be viewed as part of special tours only.
- Carry valid ID proofs.
- Breathtaking views of the Neckar river valley.
- Fireworks displays, organized thrice a year: First Saturday of June and September and the second Saturday in July.
Entrance Ticket Details For Heidelberg Castle
- € 4.00 (6-14 years of age, students up to 28 years of age, persons with severe disability).
For Guided tours (additional fees)
- € 4.00 adults
- € 2.00 concession
- € 10.00 families
- € 4.00 audio guide
- € 3.60 for large groups of more than 20 people.
Heidelberg Castle Hours
Guided tours in English:
- 1st April – 31st October (hourly): 11.15 am-4.15 pm (Mon-Fri), 10.15 am-4.15 pm (Sat & Sun)
- 1st November–31st March: 11.15 am, 12.15 pm, 2.15 pm and 4.15 pm (Mon-Fri). 11.15 am– 4.15 pm (Sat, Sun hourly)
How to Reach Heidelberg Castle
- Take bus #11 or Train #33 to Kornmarkt/Bergbahn stop. From Bergbahn the first stop is the castle.
- Restaurant Zur Herrenmuehle
- Cafe Bar Grano
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Heidelberg before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Heidelberg and book an accommodation of your choice.
95% of people who visit Heidelberg include Heidelberg Castle in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
82.43% of people start their Heidelberg Castle visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 3 Hrs to see Heidelberg Castle
93.82% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Heidelberg Castle