Suomenlinna2765 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Suomenlinna C 40, 00190 Helsinki, Finland
- Timings: 06:00 am - 11:00 pm Details
- Phone: 358-295338410
- Tags: Island, Pier, Family And Kids, Tunnel
Suomenlinna is on a lovely set of islands just off the coast of Helsinki. These islands are accessible by ferry and a refreshing getaway from the city. The Sea Fortress which was initially known as Sveaborg spans over the islands and a brilliant system of fortification made these islands an excellent strategic location in the olden days.
Today they are a charming change of scenery for the locals and a real attraction for the tourist. The King’s gate and the Main Pier are certainly worth noting while the fortifications and tunnels all around the island are intriguing and well built. There is also a dry dock for the ships which is worth a look.
While the manmade side of Suomenlinna is certainly spectacular a lot is to be said about the natural vegetation of the islands as well. The place changes it colors with the seasons and the biodiversity is impressive. Migratory birds find this area to be an attractive spot especially in summer. There are several meadows ponds and shores which are a refreshing break for tourists. Be sure to explore the island thoroughly during your visit. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Helsinki itinerary 2 days.
Suomenlinna Travel Tips
- Wear walking shoes as you will have to walk around the island a lot.
- Remember that it is a car free zone and there are no bikes on hire so walking is the only way to explore the island.
Entrance Ticket Details For Suomenlinna
- There is no ticket price to the fortress but you will have to pay for the ferry to and back from the islands.
- The timings given are for the ferry operation:- Opening time: 6am; Closing time: 2am
- The visitor center is open from 10am to 4pm, the museums and other facilities are open till 4.30pm
How to Reach Suomenlinna
- HSL Ferry port- Market Square
- Café Piper
- Café Vanille
- Restaurant Walhalla
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Helsinki before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Helsinki and book an accommodation of your choice.
89.54% of people who visit Helsinki include Suomenlinna in their plan
08 AM - 09 AM
91.75% of people start their Suomenlinna visit around 08 AM - 09 AM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Suomenlinna
62.82% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Suomenlinna