It is believed that the name Hikkaduwa actually means sword of knowledge. The name Hikkaduwa is said to have derived from the words Ship Kaduwa. Ship is the shorter version of Shilpaya which means knowledge in Sinhalese and the second half-Kaduwa which means a sword. Ever since the 1970s Hikkaduwa has held a very prominent place on the Sri Lankan tourist map. Although not as beautiful as it used to be in the beginning, the southern coastal town is still a place you should consider going to for a trip or vacation. The beautiful yet subtle experience that you can have on the beachside is what Hikkaduwa has to offer to you.
Connected closely to Colombo, this town is easily accessible and even though is not a hit amongst people wanting to enjoy a luxurious vacation, the town offers you a lot of activities mainly related to the beach that are really fun to undertake.
Even though Hikkaduwa was affected by the ocean water earthquake- the worst one of all times in 2004; the tsunami did not completely destroy the town. Hikkaduwa's thriving nightlife and popular beach setting makes it a hit amongst tourists.It is quite a preferred destination for board surfing. The town was also featured in an episode of Anthony Bourdain's television show- No Reservations. The Hikkaduwa Coral Sanctuary is something else that you should look at as it has around seventy different varieties of corals and is a treat to your eyes.
Remember to not be surprised at the most common profession being that of a tailor- the main reason is the provision of sewing machines as a part of relief operations and camps to most people of Hikkaduwa post tsunami. So while you spend a peaceful day experiencing tranquility, remember to gear up for the vibrant nightlife post being mesmerized by the sunset!
Essential travel information and Hikkaduwa tips for your visit
- Time Zone: Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone (UTC+5:30)
- Currency: Sri Lankan Rupee (LKR)
- Electricity: 220-240 Volts. Carry a convertor as the plus are different from that in USA and UK.
- Internet: The Wi-Fi access is not readily available and the speed is not very high.
- Languages: Sinhalese is the main language. But you can take your way out in broken hindi and English.
Emergency contact numbers
- National help desk: 118
- Air Port: (011) 225 2861
- Flight Information: (019)733 5555
- Immigration Office: (011)259 7510
- Customs: (011)242 1141
- Accident Service (National Hospital): (011)269 1111 ( Ext.544)
- Police Emergency: (011)243 3333
- Police Headquarters: 011)243 2682
- Army Headquarters: 011)243 2682
- Tsunami warnings: (011)268 6686
- Fire Brigade: (011)242 2222
- Ambulance: (011)422 2222
- Accident Service: (011)269 1111
- Tourist Information Centre: (011)243 7059
- Tourist Police: (011)243 2635
- Do not go venturing out alone at night.
- Keep your loved ones informed of your whereabouts at all times.
- Do not carry large sums of money.
Off beaten path
- Get a treatment in the Ayurveda Centers. They are worth the money and time.
- Tipping is not customary, but you can always keep change to give to people who provide services to you.
- Do not go to the black market.
- People might come to you acting as tsunami victims, it is very difficult to differentiate between the fake and genuine ones.
- Remember to carry sun block and sun screen as the heat can be scorching.
- Take clothing suitable for humid climate.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Hikkaduwa
Save 4%Airport pickups and dropsNew on TripHobo
Duration: 5 Hrs
Book your airport pick up or drop with us and be accompanied by one of our well experienced chauffeurs.
Save 7%Private Day Tour: Udawalawe National Park Safri From HikkaduwaNew on TripHobo
Duration: 12 Hrs
Udawalawe National Park, the sixth largest animal sanctuary of Sri Lanka, is located 112 miles (180 km) from Colombo in south...
Save 7%Private Day Tour: Kosgoda Balapitiya and Galle from Hikkaduwa1 Reviews
Duration: 10 Hrs
This one-day tour takes you on a coastal ride of wild adventure and sublime relaxation. Explore the mangrove depths of Madu R...
Save 7%Private Departure Transfer: Hikkaduwa City to Colombo Bandaranayake International Airport CMB BIANew on TripHobo
End your Sri Lanka vacation with ease by booking this private departure transfer from your hotel in Hikkaduwa City ...
How safe is Hikkaduwa for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Hikkaduwa.
Burglary and Theft 50 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 50 (Moderate)
Assault and Armed Robbery 50 (Moderate)
Corruption and Bribery 50 (Moderate)
Car Stealing 100 (Very High)
Robbery of Car belongings 25 (Low)
Attacks 50 (Moderate)
Drug offense 50 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 25 (Low)
Safety walking alone during night 25 (Low)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 75 (High)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 50 (Moderate)
Property crimes and Vandalism 50 (Moderate)
Safety Index 47.06 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Hikkaduwa
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.01 USD
International Movie per seat 3.28 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 19.15 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 32.83 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 23.71 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.