How to Reach Hikkaduwa
The Easiest Way to Reach Hikkaduwa
- By Flight: The Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, Hambantota, is the closest to Hikkaduwa. From there, you can either travel by public transport or book your seat on a domestic flight. If you choose the latter option, the nearest domestic airport is at Galle, which is around 20 kms from Hikkaduwa.
- By Train: Trains, although supposedly crowded and slow, connect Hikkaduwa with major cities such as Colombo, Galle and Kandy.
- By Bus: Buses at frequent intervals, travel to and from Hikkaduwa, Colombo and Galle.
- Many people who visit Hikkaduwa prefer to book an auto rickshaw or tuk tuk for the duration of their stay. The drivers of these three wheelers charge a daily nominal fee. And they also take you to unexploited, un-touristy Hikkaduwa attractions! Bargain and fix the daily fare of the auto rickshaw in advance.
- You can also hire bicycles and enjoy the country side at your own pace.
- The best option is to explore the town on foot. You can completely absorb all that the city has to offer to you.