Tsunami Museum2125 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Temple road, Telwatta, Galle road, Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka Map
- Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
- Phone: 0094-0913900884
- Time Required: 01:00 Hrs
- Tags: Museums, History Museums, Geological Formation, Educational Site, Family And Kids, Specialty Museums
The destruction that the 2004 Tsunami left in its wake can be imagined by visiting the Tsunami museum. This private museum is halfway between Hikkaduwa and Ambalangoda in Srilanka and tells the story through photographs and newspaper about the dreadful Indian Ocean tsunami which struck Hikkaduwa and Sri Lanka.
Close to the Tsunami Photo Museum is a small memorial to the roughly 40,000 people who lost their lives just in Sri Lanka and the hundreds of thousands of others whose lives were changed forever. It was also around here where the tsunami washed away a packed commuter train with the loss of over 1200 lives. The images of that ruined train are displayed through photographs in this museum.
Tsunami Museum Travel Tips
- Although the entry is free, donations are accepted at the entrance counter.
- The museum is free of charge to see the exhibition but a donation, to maintain the museum, is expected.
How to Reach Tsunami Museum
- Telwatta railway station
- Godagama bus stop
- By tuk tuks or auto rickshaw
- Harendra Restaurant
- Dutch Lanka Hotel
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Hikkaduwa before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hikkaduwa and book an accommodation of your choice.
- Tsunami Museum Address: Temple road, Telwatta, Galle road, Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
- Tsunami Museum Contact Number: 0094-0913900884
- Tsunami Museum Timing: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Best time to visit Tsunami Museum(preferred time): 09:00 am - 05:00 pm
- Time required to visit Tsunami Museum: 01:00 Hrs
- Try the best online travel planner to plan your travel itinerary!
95% of people who visit Hikkaduwa include Tsunami Museum in their plan
3 PM - 4 PM
48.96% of people start their Tsunami Museum visit around 3 PM - 4 PM
People usually take around 1 Hr to see Tsunami Museum
94.87% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tsunami Museum
People normally club together Hikkaduwa Lake and Natural Moonstone Mine while planning their visit to Tsunami Museum.