Hilo is definitely a tropical paradise on the Big Island of Hawaii. The largest city in Hawaii County, Hilo is definitely nature’s bounty. The lush tropical rainforests, the dancing waterfalls and the magnificent volcanic peaks, all beckon to the nature lover inside you. There are beautiful state parks all across Hilo that let you experience these natural wonders to the fullest, like the Wailuku River State Park and Wailoa River State Park. There are also gardens that show how the people of Hilo pay homage to the natural beauty of the city, like the Liliuokalani Gardens and Hilo Tropical Gardens. The Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo is one of the most unique things about Hilo, as it is the only rainforest zoo in all of United States of America. There are also beach parks all over the city, which let you experience the underwater marvels of the ocean.
Hilo takes pride in the arts and culture that the city has been offering to the world over the ages. There are many museums that educate visitors about the rich past and present of the city. Historical monuments like the Naha Stone are proof about the legends that have been passed over generations in Hilo. Hilo is also a great place to learn about the universe’s secrets. There are observatories and astronomy museums to study more about celestial bodies. Thus, Hilo not only emphasizes on what’s on Earth, but also what’s beyond.
Hilo is indeed a place where nature, arts, culture, history and science all come together is a perfect blend for a fun Hawaiian vacation.
Essential travel information and Hilo tips for your visit
- Time Zone: UTC-10 hours
- Currency: US Dollar
- Electricity and Internet: 110-120 Volts of Electrical output. There is High Speed Broadband Services available in Hilo.
- Languages: English is the most spoken language in Hilo. Pacific Island languages, Japanese and Tagalog are also spoken here.
- Security: 911 (Ambulance, Fire & Police)
- Tipping: It is frowned upon if you don’t tip in Hilo. Some places might even have a tipping jar as tips are the means of income for a lot of people here.
- Customs: Respecting the local people and culture is very important. For Surfers: If your home break is aggressive, do not bring that attitude with you.
Hilo Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Hilo. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Hilo trip planner.