Subaru Telescope120 Votes Currently Closed
- Address: 650 N Aohoku Pl, Hilo, HI 96720, United States
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:00 pm Details
- Phone: +1-8089347788
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: View Point, Observatory, Family And Kids
Lying atop Mauna Kea, at a height of 4200 metres, is an 8.2 metres flagship telescope of the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan called the Subaru Telescope. This telescope provides astronomers from Japan, as well as, all around the world an opportunity to explore the cosmos in order to gain a deeper insight into understanding everything around us more accurately. There are tours held by the authorities for visitors, so that they can view the gigantic telescope from a balcony that is 40 feet high. This is an excellent opportunity for enthusiasts who wish to know more about the work of astronomers.
Subaru Telescope Travel Tips
- The tour program is open to everybody except for those with the following conditions: younger than 16 years old, pregnant, with respiratory, cardiac or circulatory conditions, or have been diving within 24 hours.
Entrance Ticket Details For Subaru Telescope
- Kindly contact authorities to find out about ticket prices.
Subaru Telescope Hours
- Tours are offered up to 15 days a month and begin at 10:30 am, 11:30 am, and 1:30 pm, usually on either Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.
- The tour will last approximately 40 minutes.
- Due to the major work at the telescope in summer and autumn, the public tour schedule is intermittent between June to mid-September, and closed from mid-September to mid-November. Due to the bad weather during the winter time, the tour will be closed from December until next March.
How to Reach Subaru Telescope
- Rent a 4WD.
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Hilo before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hilo and book an accommodation of your choice.
27.15% of people who visit Hilo include Subaru Telescope in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
59.26% of people start their Subaru Telescope visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Subaru Telescope
95% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Subaru Telescope
Subaru Telescope Reviews & Ratings
I reserved a guide from Subaru website. We drove two Subaru 4WD to the telescope. A Japanese guide showed us marvelous inside . It was another amazing experience in Hawaii. You should not miss this low cost but fantastic private trip.
Went to the Sabaru and Keck telescopes whilst on business at Hawaii. The views from there and the acclimatisation camp were something else - beautiful. Due to being up 14 000ft, you MUST take care. Oxygen has a relative low level (~40%) although the level of oxygen is actually very close to 100% but at this height the partial pressure is very low. You must drink water as your body reacts differently at this height, listen to everything the people at the telescope tell you and most importantly tell someone immediately if you feel weird, headachy or sick - if not you are most probably going to pass out (one of our party did!). Enjoy the wonderful telescopes, drink and keep warm!
Totally amazing though only 60% of oxygen
Great place to work.