About Shukkei-en, Hiroshima
Boasting of an annual footfall of 1,80,000, the Shukkei-en is a beautiful, fairy tale like garden situated in Hiroshima. Translated to English as ‘shrunken-scenery garden’, the place has miniature valleys, mountains, forests, ponds and small islands in these ponds! The Shukkei-en has a history dating back to 1620. However, during the atomic bombings, all the buildings within the garden along with the vegetation were burnt.
The garden is witness to atrocities and tragedy- many people who were injured during the bombings took refuge in the grounds of the garden. And many of those people died in the garden due to their wounds. Their remains were interred within the garden. Today, the garden is an example of beauty and serenity.
How To Get To Shukkei-en by Public Transport
- Shukkeien-mae tram stop.
Restaurants Near Shukkei-en
- Food stall within the garden premises.
- Zona Itaria in Chentoro
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Hiroshima before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hiroshima and book an accommodation of your choice.
Address: 2-11 Kaminoboricho, Naka Ward, Hiroshima, Japan
Ticket Price: 250 JPY
Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
Timings: 09:00 am - 06:00 pm Details
Added 20.8K times in trip plans
Forest, Mountain, Garden, Historical Site, Family And Kids
Try TripHobo Trip Planner
Book Shukkei-en Tickets And Tours
Don't miss Miyajima Island when visiting Hiroshima! Miyajima, also called "Island of Gods" is one of the most scenic spots in Japan.ãThis rickshaw tour offers not only the special experience for traditional Japanese rickshaw ride, but also a visit to the famous Itsukushima Shrine. Listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site, Itsukushima Shrine is famous for its "floating" torii gate in red.
Share your experience - Rate Shukkei-en, Hiroshima
This is a lovely and very peaceful traditional Japanese garden right in the heart of the city. Free admission for seniors and full of nice benches and places to sit and enjoy the serenity of the garden. For those looking for a reprieve from running around all the tourist sites and fighting the throngs of visitors, this is an easy recommend.
The garden is rebuilt after the nuclear attack. It is breathtaking. The trees, the pond and the bridge is amazing. It has a small local tea shop at the back that is quaint and lovely!
One of my favorite stops in Hiroshima. The garden, even in winter, was amazing. Spend a good hour just feeding the Koi while admiring the tranquility
Nice private garden to enjoy some peace and relax at the shadow maybe after a long walk into the lovely Hiroshima.
I really like this place! A small private park, well maintained. Got to go to this place during cherry blossom season
- Other Attractions
- Junagadh Fort
- National Research Centre On Camel
- Karni Mata Temple
- Jain Temple Bhandasar
- Lalgarh Palace
- Gajner Lake
- Shri Laxminath Temple
- The Royal Cenotaphs
- Shiv Bari Temple
- Kodamdeshwar Temple
- Hotels for other Attractions
- Luxury Hotels Near Junagadh Fort
- 5 Star Hotels Near National Research Centre On Camel
- Luxury Hotels Near Karni Mata Temple
- Cheap Hotels Near Jain Temple Bhandasar
- Budget Hotels Near Lalgarh Palace
- Budget Hotels Near Gajner Lake
- Cheap Hotels Near Shri Laxminath Temple
- Hotels Near The Royal Cenotaphs
- Cheap Hotels Near Shiv Bari Temple
- Budget Hotels Near Kodamdeshwar Temple
- City Tripplans
- Hiroshima Itinerary 7 Days
- Hiroshima Itinerary 1 Day
- 2 Day Trip to Hiroshima from Hiroshima
- Hiroshima Itinerary 2 Days
- Hiroshima Itinerary 4 Days
- Hiroshima Itinerary 5 Days
- Hiroshima Itinerary 6 Days
- 7 Day Trip to Hiroshima from Hiroshima
- Hiroshima Itinerary 3 Days
- 4 Day Trip to Hiroshima from Hiroshima