Penitentiary ChapelCurrently Closed
- Address: Brisbane and Campbell Sts., Hobart City, Hobart, TAS 7000, Australia
- Timings: 10:00 am - 02:30 pm Details
- Phone: +61-362310911
- Ticket Price: 12 AUD
- Time Required: 01:30 Hrs
- Tags: Church, Religious Site, Family And Kids
The Penitentiary Chapel was built for the male convicts of the prison and goal adjacent to the chapel. The entire premises still contains all of its original property- the chapel, court rooms, solitary confinement cells, prison cells, tunnels and execution grounds. The only way to see the Penitentiary Chapel is through guided tours. If you’re enamored by the haunting tales told to you by the guides, you could sign up for a night time tour of the Chapel that is said to have paranormal sightings and occurrences. Also, visit the popular attractions in the city by following Hobart itinerary 3 days.
- $25 Family, including 2 Adults and Children under 16
- $12 Adult
- $10 All Concessions- (On presentation of card)Pensioner, Seniors Card holders and Students, Auto Club cards, YHA, Hobart Red Bus passengers
- $5 Child (under 5 free)
- National Trust Members- No charge
- Companion Card- No charge
- Ghost tour A$15
- Since the tour timings are pre-determined, plan your day keeping in mind the tour timings.
- The night time ghost tour requires pre-booking.
- Timings: Sunday to Friday- Tours start 10:00 am, 11:30 am, 1:00 pm & 2:30 pm.
- Saturday- Tours start 1:00 pm & 2:30 pm only
- 181 Elizabeth St (Bus Stop)
- Ocean Child Inn (Australian food served)
- Alley Cat Bar
- Tasman Quartermasters (Australian food served)
Love this? Explore the entire list of things to do in Hobart before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hobart and book an accommodation of your choice.
65.84% of people who visit Hobart include Penitentiary Chapel in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
80.58% of people start their Penitentiary Chapel visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
1 Hr 30 Minutes
People usually take around 1 Hr 30 Minutes to see Penitentiary Chapel
91.49% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Penitentiary Chapel
Sitting amongst modern-day developments, comforts & their associated trappings, cocooned by the pungent & unpleasant scent of technological advancement, is a preserved time-capsule - Hobart Convict Penitentiary. A glimpse of "Van Dieman's Land" as a penal colony, a destination of punishment, not pleasure, another world in a different time ..... Fascinating to "view", yet there is a feeling that permeates to the bone - an icy coldness of souls long past, torture, starvation, death, fear & pain - the harshness & cruelty of life's circumstance built into every nook & cranny.......
Good for people who are interested in History. Better call before to check the timings of the show.
Very good service, she knew her history. Very interesting place to see.
Went on the ghost tour and it was the best in hobart! I think the guides are mostly what make it such a great experience! You can tell they love their jobs as theyre super into making sure everyone has a great experience, super fun! Only let down was unfortunatly they've trained the ghosts too well and I didn't have any ghosts follow me home to haunt me permanently
Interesting place with great history. Worth as look.