Are you looking for what to do in Hobart?
PLACES TO SEE
- Museum of Old and New Art (MONA): Millionaire David Walsh prided himself as one of the finest collectors of art in all of Australia. To commemorate this sense of accomplishment, Walsh built a museum worth $57million. The MONA is the country’s largest privately owned museum. With art that will produce a ‘wow’ and ‘whoa’ from you, it’s best to buy a map first so you know what sections to avoid.
- Salamanca Place: One of the oldest business districts of Hobart, Salamanca Place is still a thriving economic hub, although it caters to a different target market now- the tourists. The beautiful sandstone buildings are now homes to cafes, restaurants and galleries. While strolling through the neighborhood, be sure to make a stop at the Saturday markets.
- Penitentiary Chapel: True to its name, the Penitentiary Chapel was a part of a former prison premises. Male convicts were sent to this prison and depending on the severity of the crime, it would either be gen pop, solitary confinement or straight to the gallows. The only way to visit the premises is by guided tours.
- Female Factory Historic Site: The counterpart of the Penitentiary Chapel, the Female Factory Site was where all the female felons were kept, until they were either employed or married off. The Female Factory has imprisoned over 1000 women. Not as well preserved as the Chapel, it is however an important part of the nation’s history. Sign up for a guided tour to get the best out of your visit.
- Battery Point: An erstwhile maritime village, Battery Point gets its name from the battery of guns that used to be installed there. If you want to see what a 19th century village looked like, take a stroll through Battery Point.
Below we have a list of things to do in Hobart and the places where you want to spend the best moments of your trip. At the same time, the city offers you the best neighborhoods to explore and new foods to try.
This list should help you in deciding and prioritizing what you should plan on your Hobart getaway. Find a mix of must-see tourist spots, underrated local hangouts, and maybe even a few new experiences you can try out.
Make the most of your trip to Hobart with confidence.