Hong Kong Tourism
Visit Hong Kong - Best of Hong Kong
It’s ever more impressive skyline! In 2010, the CNN declared the Hong Kong skyline as the most beautiful on the planet, better slightly than even New York’s Mahattan skyline. This is because Hong Kong’s skyline is layered; the beautiful buildings when viewed from the river, are framed by an equally enchanting mountain range.
It’s deep natural harbour! Victoria Harbour is a famous natural landform harbour between HK island and the Kowloon Peninsula. It lies directly in the middle of two densely urban areas continues its important and historical role as a port for thousands of sea vessels. Major public shows occur throughout the year here, the most famous of which is the daily government sponsored Symphony Of Lights.
It’s lively, uncountable markets! Colourful and bustling with activity, there are no limits to what Hong Kong markets will cater to. Antiques, birds, jade, garments, art and counterfeits of all of these and more are offered here. Bargaining is a must; you’ll easily get most goods upto 33% cheaper than the quoted price.
Each one of you should visit Hong Kong at least once and experience all that it has to offer considering the best time to visit Hong Kong.
Hong Kong Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Hong Kong tips for your visit
- Time Zone - Hong Kong Time (UKT). UTC/GMT +8hours.
- Currency - Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)
- Electricity - The electrical voltage in Hong Kong is 220 Volts 50 Hertz Alternating Current. Most hotels and households have 3 pronged UK style sockets or Indian style sockets. Check your electrical devices for their voltage consumption and use adapters if necessary.
- Internet - There are free Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the city, especially in the major public spots. Look for the sign 'Wifi.HK', which means you have free Wi-Fi access.
- Languages - Chinese and English are the two major languages used in Hong Kong.
- Security - Emergency services (Police, Fire department, Ambulance): 999, Police Hotline: (+852) 25277177.
- Off-beaten Path - Hike where the locals do and try the local food that includes Lou Mei and Hot Pot.
- Tipping - Tipping is not mandatory in Hong Kong as the restaurants by default impose a 10-15% service charge. But if the service is so good, you can tip anything less than 5% of the total bill. At Hotels, you can tip something between HK $10 and HK $20 for the porters.
- Tourist Traps - Watch out for the taxi fares.
- Customs - Greet people with a handshake and maintain eye contact. Also, receiving and exchanging gifts are a big part of the Hong Kong culture.
- Avoid shopping in the malls, they are too pricey. Instead, try shopping in the streets and don't forget to bargain.
- Don't smoke in public places, a fine of HK $5000 might be levied.
Explore the travel itinerary planning tool for your visit to Hong Kong and create a flawless plan in few simple steps!
Travel to Hong Kong- Know before you go to Hong Kong
Facts and Stats for Hong Kong*
Pollution Statistics in Hong Kong
Know the pollution level of Hong Kong before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 71.02 (High)
Water Pollution 50.97 (Moderate)
Noise and Light Pollution 66.07 (High)
Unattended dirt and garbage 44.19 (Moderate)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 37.02 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 46.65 (Moderate)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 60.69 (High)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 50.6 (Moderate)
Hong Kong: Crime and Safety
How safe is Hong Kong for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Hong Kong.
Burglary and Theft 17.95 (Very Low)
Mugging and Robbery 17.99 (Very Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 18.02 (Very Low)
Corruption and Bribery 37.13 (Low)
Car Stealing 13.97 (Very Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 16.21 (Very Low)
Attacks 18.75 (Very Low)
Drug offense 27.08 (Low)
Safety walking alone during daylight 88.64 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 78.62 (High)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 24.48 (Low)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 16.15 (Very Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 24.16 (Low)
Living in Hong Kong - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Hong Kong is 108.79 (Moderate)
Safety Index 78 (High)
Climate Index 83.64 (Very High)
Pollution Index 69.1 (High)
Traffic Commute Time Index 40.48 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 79.56 (Moderate)
Health Care Index 64.42 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 42.77 (Very High)
Purchasing Power Index 82.95 (Moderate)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Hong Kong
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Hong Kong
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.08 USD
International Movie per seat 12.75 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 32.47 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 84.65 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 75.7 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.
Hong Kong Travel Guides
The best trip plans created by users and travel experts that cover the top spots and attractions of Hong Kong
Hong Kong Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Hong Kong
973 Reviews Duration: 5 Hrs
Whether this is your first visit to Hong Kong or youre returning to refresh old memories, this comprehensive orientation is a...
USD 40.14Book Now
17 Reviews Duration: Flexible
Meet your favorite Disney characters, watch live shows and parades, and shop and dine at all themed areas of the Hong Kong Di...
Duration: 5 Hrs
Arguably one of the best climbs around Hong Kong, this tour will take you to the highest peak, Ma On Shan, in the region. Asc...
USD 112.03Book Now
Duration: 4 Hrs
Climb into another world of Tai Mo Shan Waterfall’s beauty and see what nature holds in store for you. Explore the hidd...
USD 96.01Book Now
- Cities Near Hong Kong
- Ngau Tau Kok Tourism
- Taikoo Shing Tourism
- Sai Wan Ho Tourism
- Cha Kwo Ling Tourism
- Cha Kwo Ling Road Tourism
- Lam Tin Tourism
- Yau Tong Tourism
- Chai Wan Tourism
- Eastern District Tourism
- Top cities from Hong Kong
- Kennedy Town Tourism
- Sha Tin Wai Station Tourism
- Sha Tin Wai Tourism
- Ma Wan Tourism
- Mid-level Tourism
- Tai Wo Station Tourism
- San Po Kong Tourism
- Ma Yau Tong Tourism
- Tung Hing House Tourism
- Other Cities on TripHobo
- Paris Tourism
- Prague Tourism
- Rome Tourism
- Rio De Janeiro Tourism
- London Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Ephrata Tourism
- Grand Rapids Tourism
- Paraty Tourism