Tian Tan Buddha6236 Votes Currently Open
- Address: Ngong Ping Rd, Lantau Island, Hong Kong
- Timings: 10:00 am - 04:30 pm Details
- Phone: +852-29855248
- Time Required: 06:00 Hrs
- Tags: Religious Site, Walking Area, Statue, Cable Car
This relatively young giant idol of Lord Gautama is the biggest outdoor Buddha, and possibly the only computerized one (the bell inside the Buddha is struck electronically, 108 times a day).
From there, it’s really a photographers delight, considering the high look over the surrounding countryside. Or one can head into the podium, which actually is a three-storied gallery–cum–museum (there’s an entry fee for this). There are several approaches to the Buddha that make for a nice walk, including a two and a half kilometers footpath leading to the Lantau Tea Garden (which itself isn’t all that attractive), or the Ngong Ping Trail.
Make sure to take the cable car on the way down.
Tian Tan Buddha Travel Tips
- For more fun, visit the place on the Buddha’s Birthday.
- Don’t miss out the museum at the top.
- Don’t forget to see the nearby monastery.
- You can avoid the queue if you take the No. 23 bus (ask around).
- Do not bring any meat or alcohol to the area.
- Dress moderately.
Tian Tan Buddha Hours
- Avoid visiting on Sundays or public holidays.
How to Reach Tian Tan Buddha
- MTR Tung Chung station
- Cafe De Coral: American food
- Yuen Kee Dessert: sponge cake, black sesame soup
- Wagyu: Japanese food
Love this? Explore the entire list of places to visit in Hong Kong before you plan your trip.
Fancy a good night's sleep after a tiring day? Check out where to stay in Hong Kong and book an accommodation of your choice.
46.33% of people who visit Hong Kong include Tian Tan Buddha in their plan
10 AM - 11 AM
86.38% of people start their Tian Tan Buddha visit around 10 AM - 11 AM
People usually take around 6 Hrs to see Tian Tan Buddha
93.19% of people prefer to travel by car while visiting Tian Tan Buddha