Living in Honolulu, like in the rest of Hawaii, makes being a general beach bum look cool.
The “Sheltered Bay” (the literal translation of Honolulu) sprawls across the island’s southern beaches, so you’ll find your Honolulu travel guides recommending that you cover the city section by section, district by district.
For much of the 19th century, it was the seat of the monarch’s power. The port became extremely popular with merchant ships during this period. Beginning at the end of that century, the Hawaiian monarchy slowly became obsolete. USA annexed the islands soon after, making them a highly strategic naval base. The most important of these bases was, of course, the Pearl Harbour. The Pearl Harbour memorial remains the most important tourist attraction in Honolulu.
The island’s character seems to defy scheduling. Miles and miles of fantastic beaches (including the famous Waikiki), roads to spend hours cycling on are only the beginning. Your trip planner will find Honolulu a hard place to force into an itinerary.
From the most famous military memorial in the world, magnificent vistas that keep you enraptured for hours, jogging routes that look like they were crafted in heaven, surfing some of the ocean’s coolest waves, and of course, luaus and hula shows served up with mouth-watering island cuisine. Travelling through Honolulu, whether the city or the further inland, is kind of chaotic.
Essential travel information and Honolulu tips for your visit
- Hold no electronic devices while driving
- Avoid parking cars on the sides of busy streets. Towing will happen immediately
- Apply sun cream or carry an umbrella if you are spending long hours on the beach
- Be careful when you get into the water, specially if you don’t know swimming
- Time Zone: HAST (Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time)
- Currency: United States Dollar (USD)
- Electricity & Internet: 115/120 volts at 60 Hz per second. Free wired internet and Wi-Fi access is available in some hotels.
- Language: Hawaiian and English is their official language.
- Security: For Fire, Police or Ambulance Emergences – 911.
- Tourist Traps: Avoid buying pearl from the sellers on the beach. Don’t fall in the trap of unknown local tours who offers complimentary breakfast.
Honolulu Trip Planner
Plan your customized day by day trip plan for Honolulu. Choose from various experinces categories as adventure, romantic and family and kids friendly for your trip using using Honolulu trip planner.
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Honolulu
Save 10%Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by Catamaran
3 Hrs186 Reviews
Save 5%Oahu Shark Dive
2 Hrs305 Reviews
Save 9%Half-Day Tour of Pearl Harbor from Waikiki
4 Hrs 30 Mins96 Reviews
Save 10%Ultimate Circle Island Adventure with Waimea Waterfall
11 Hrs150 Reviews
Save 15%Oahu Grand Circle Island Day Tour
8 Hrs 30 Mins716 Reviews
Save 7%Three Star Deluxe Sunset Dinner & Show
2 Hrs80 Reviews