Visit Honolulu - Best of Honolulu
Living in Honolulu, like in the rest of Hawaii, makes being a general beach bum look cool.
The “Sheltered Bay” (the literal translation of Honolulu) sprawls across the island’s southern beaches, so you’ll find your Honolulu travel guides recommending that you cover the city section by section, district by district.
For much of the 19th century, it was the seat of the monarch’s power. The port became extremely popular with merchant ships during this period. Beginning at the end of that century, the Hawaiian monarchy slowly became obsolete. USA annexed the islands soon after, making them a highly strategic naval base. The most important of these bases was, of course, the Pearl Harbour. The Pearl Harbour memorial remains the most important tourist attraction in Honolulu.
The island’s character seems to defy scheduling. Miles and miles of fantastic beaches (including the famous Waikiki), roads to spend hours cycling on are only the beginning. Your trip planner will find Honolulu a hard place to force into an itinerary.
From the most famous military memorial in the world, magnificent vistas that keep you enraptured for hours, jogging routes that look like they were crafted in heaven, surfing some of the ocean’s coolest waves, and of course, luaus and hula shows served up with mouth-watering island cuisine. Travelling through Honolulu, whether the city or the further inland, is kind of chaotic.
Honolulu Travel Tips
Essential travel information and Honolulu tips for your visit
- Hold no electronic devices while driving
- Avoid parking cars on the sides of busy streets. Towing will happen immediately
- Apply sun cream or carry an umbrella if you are spending long hours on the beach
- Be careful when you get into the water, specially if you don’t know swimming
- Time Zone: HAST (Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time)
- Currency: United States Dollar (USD)
- Electricity & Internet: 115/120 volts at 60 Hz per second. Free wired internet and Wi-Fi access is available in some hotels.
- Language: Hawaiian and English is their official language.
- Security: For Fire, Police or Ambulance Emergences – 911.
- Tourist Traps: Avoid buying pearl from the sellers on the beach. Don’t fall in the trap of unknown local tours who offers complimentary breakfast.
Are you looking for a Honolulu travel itinerary? Create an itinerary within minutes, on your own!
Honolulu Tourist Information
- Parks And Gardens
- Amusement Parks
- Bowling Spots
- Dog Parks
- Convenience Stores
- Burger Shops
- Chinese Restaurants
- Fast Foods
- Italian Restaurants
- Mexican Restaurants
- Pizza Shops
- Thai Restaurants
- Vegan Restaurants
- Food Trucks
- Gas Stations
- Bus Stations
Honolulu Tours for you
The best tours and activities in the city, guided by experts to give you a local insight to the best of Honolulu
Save 8%Oahu Shark Dive 274 Reviews
Duration: 2 Hrs
Book the Oahu Shark Dive to enjoy a thrilling encounter with sharks! Cruise from Oahu's beautiful North Shore to your viewing...
Save 10%Paradise Cove Luau 967 Reviews
Duration: 5 Hrs 30 Mins
Don't miss a sunset luau at Paradise Cove Luau - it's one of the largest and most respected luau shows in Hawaii. If there is...
Oahu Helicopter Flight and Small Group Tour - Full day Land and 30 Min Air Tour New on TripHobo
Duration: 7 Hrs
Small Group Tour - 7 guests max on the ground and 3 guests max on the helicopter.Only Circle Island Tour combining a ground t...Book Now
30 Minute Helicopter Tour - Doors on or off
Duration: 30 Mins
Experience Oahu's breathtaking tropical landscape from above on this 30 minute helicopter flight. You decide: Doors off or Do...Book Now
Popular Hotels in HonoluluView all Hotels in Honolulu
More about Honolulu
Nightlife In Honolulu: Best Bars, Clubs, & Things To Do
- Disconnected from the neon and the noise of the world is the refreshing island city of Honolulu. Home to diverse cultures and cuisines, Honolulu is multi-flavored and the mixed plate of experiences that it offers is one of the reasons for the city to be in the list of popular tourist attractions in the world. Characterized by a laid-back vibe, Honolulu also has a vibrant nightlife that you should definitely experience.
To make sure that you get the best of Honolulu's nightlife and what nightlife in Honolulu is like, we have framed a list of best bars, nightclubs, and things to do in Honolulu at night.
Best Spots For Snorkeling In Honolulu
- With an ocean bestowing you with mesmeric vistas of its colorful waters, Honolulu is Hawaii’s favorite hot spot for myriad reasons. Especially given how much quieter it is than the much touristy Waikiki, Honolulu is a perfect beach escapade. While the city boasts of some quaint attractions throwing light on its history and diverse terrains, it is the water sports here that give Honolulu an edge over its Hawaiian counterparts. Snorkeling is one such watersport, that celebrates this vibrant Polynesian capital like no other. What's more? A surface water temperature of around 77-83F all through the year amplifies the fact that you can come, snorkel here, any time of the year! Tempted much? Check out these 12 best spots for snorkeling in Honolulu that will keep you wanting
- Barbers Point Housing Tourism
- Kapalua Tourism
- Lahaina Tourism
- Kihei Tourism
- Wailea-makena Tourism
- Maui Tourism
- Kapaa Tourism
- Haleakala National Park Tourism
- Kilauea Tourism
- Kalihiwai Tourism
- Kekaha Tourism
- Kailua-kona Tourism
- Miami Tourism
- Los Angeles Tourism
- New York City Tourism
- Chicago Tourism
- Las Vegas Tourism
- San Francisco Tourism
- Seattle Tourism
- San Jose Tourism
- Saint Louis Tourism
Facts and Stats for Honolulu*
Pollution Statistics in Honolulu
Know the pollution level of Honolulu before you plan your visit.
Air Pollution 28.57 (Low)
Water Pollution 39.86 (Low)
Noise and Light Pollution 46.43 (Moderate)
Unattended dirt and garbage 43.92 (Moderate)
Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 23.65 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Garbage Disposal 31.94 (Low)
Dissatisfaction to Spend Time in the City 33.13 (Low)
Dissatisfaction with Green zones and parks 43.75 (Moderate)
Honolulu: Crime and Safety
How safe is Honolulu for tourists? Understand risks and safety concerns that can hamper your travel experience in Honolulu.
Burglary and Theft 40 (Moderate)
Mugging and Robbery 34.29 (Low)
Assault and Armed Robbery 39.29 (Low)
Corruption and Bribery 41.91 (Moderate)
Car Stealing 35 (Low)
Robbery of Car belongings 51.43 (Moderate)
Attacks 36.43 (Low)
Drug offense 56.43 (Moderate)
Safety walking alone during daylight 82.86 (Very High)
Safety walking alone during night 52.14 (Moderate)
Insulting and offensive behaviour 42.86 (Moderate)
Hate crime due to Racism, Religion, ethnic origin 27.14 (Low)
Property crimes and Vandalism 55.71 (Moderate)
Living in Honolulu - Quality of Life
Quality of Life Index of Honolulu is 167.79 (Very High)
Safety Index 57.16 (Moderate)
Climate Index 95.33 (Very High)
Pollution Index 38.57 (Low)
Traffic Commute Time Index 42.43 (Moderate)
Cost of Living Index 94.49 (High)
Health Care Index 69.74 (High)
Property Price to Income Ratio 8.16 (Moderate)
Purchasing Power Index 110.21 (Very High)
Indices such as Quality of life, Climate & Healthcare index are good to be high whereas others such as Property price, Traffic & Cost of living Index are good to be low.
Cost for Essentials in Honolulu
Here's how much it will cost to shop in Honolulu
Local calling per minute on Prepaid mobile 0.1 USD
International Movie per seat 12.38 USD
Summer clothing in a chain store 36 USD
Pair of Basic Nike Shoes 82.94 USD
Pair of Basic Levis Jeans 46.86 USD
*Stats and figures mentioned are crowd-sourced and subjected to change without notice.